Looking for powerhead recommendations for 50 gallon aio lagoon

k log(omega)

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve using the IM wave link midsize powehead but there’s a few things that i don’t like about it. I like ecotech powerheads but i can’t justify spending that much atm. Just wanted to get an idea of what others are using.

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Show us a picture of your tank, then it might be easier to guide you in the right direction :)

I do like to combine several different types of powerheads for flow depending on the kind i need and where i need it. Getting flow right is just as important as light.

I use a combination of Red Sea gyres and MP40s/10s.

Chances are that AI Axis and Neros will serve you very well - they are cheaper and has good controllability.

Alternatively, look at maxspect gyres also, they're great!

Last edited:

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a mp10 and a mp40 on opposite sides of my 75g. Both bought online in used condition. I personally have been using one for 10 years and the other for 6 years. I’ve had to replace a wet side once. I clean them every year.

I would highly recommend vortech! Check eBay or the forum marketplace and deals can be found!

OP
OP
k log(omega)

k log(omega)

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Show us a picture of your tank, then it might be easier to guide you in the right direction :)

I do like to combine several different types of powerheads for flow depending on the kind i need and where i need it. Getting flow right is just as important as light.

I use a combination of Red Sea gyres and MP40s/10s.

Chances are that AI Axis and Neros will serve you very well - they are cheaper and has good controllability.

Alternatively, look at maxspect gyres also, they're great!
IMG_5894.jpeg

Here’s what my current setup looks like. I’m really trying to avoid dropping $300+ on new pumps if that’s possible i just have always felt the one i have has too narrow of a stream, and too fast frequency between pulses/sine waves/etc.

do you have any experience with the hygger powerheads sold on amazon? they’re pretty cheap and i feel like directing two at eachother from opposite sides of the tank, and setting them to pulse or sine would give me some really good random flow. just not sure about the spread on them, last thing i want is to buy something else that’s got the same issues

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I have no experience with them. The lfs reccomends them and another brand for better price point powerheads.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back