Not open for further replies.

bermudablue

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Everyone,

We started our tank about 7 months ago and have beautiful LR, but it could use a bit more color. Purple up runs about $12.00 a bottle and it is a huge bottle. We started out with a fairly small tank (15 g) so we don't need a large bottle. If anyone has some that they could donate to the cause or we could buy a small amount from please let me know. Thanks!
:bigsmile:

tperk9784

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO Purple up is a waste of money. Coralline will grow as long as you maintain good water chemistry and have a healthy tank. If you really want to jumpstart the Coralline then scrap any Corraline you have with a razor blade to spread it faster. I have seen that work on friends tanks.

OP
OP
B

bermudablue

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know some people who have had great success with purple up, and we would really like to give it a try in our tank. Thanks for you opinions but we'd like to try it for ourselves.

Paul_N

MOD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know some people who have had great success with purple up, and we would really like to give it a try in our tank. Thanks for you opinions but we'd like to try it for ourselves.

I know someone that used it in the past. Here is a different way to look at it. Using Purple up is just an expensive way to add elements you should already be adding through normal tank husbandry. If you are doing water changes and testing and dosing for Calcium, alk, and Magnesium then you already have a sufficient amount of these elements in your water and like troylee said, the coralline will "spread like wildfire".

litenyaup

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
all purple up is is calcium.....just dose your 2 part and you will achieve the same result

Reef lvr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
all purple up is is calcium.....just dose your 2 part and you will achieve the same result
+1 if you don't test for it, don't dose it..Purple up is very misleading..instead of a lush reef you could have a cloudy ghostown!!

ironman

CRC Whipping Boy (round 2)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used purple up years ago when i didnt really know better. I would not use it personally but it sounds like you really want to try it. Some times trial and error is the best way to learn what works for your tank. If you can wait till the next meeting i will give you some, i think i still have a few bottles laying around. You must be very careful with such a small tank to test your water levels constantly as this can change your levels quickly. Personally i would get your calcium level up and magnesium up and then add some coraline from another tank, I can scrape off coraline dust for you, or buy a rock with some on it.

OP
OP
B

bermudablue

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks a lot! We have never been to a meeting. Like I said we just started this hobby. We have some coraline on our LR, but we were wanting it to spread a little quicker.Thank you all for your opinions. We would like to still try it and see if you have any to spare. Thanks again! :bigsmile:

OP
OP
B

bermudablue

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. We would still like to try it but we don't want to pay $12.99 a bottle when we only have a 15 gallon tank and only need a tiny bit. Do you have any extra that you are willing to share?

hwntunda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ive got some if you want to just pay for the shipping...

bamachamp92

WIL E. COYOTE SUPERGENIUS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. We would still like to try it but we don't want to pay $12.99 a bottle when we only have a 15 gallon tank and only need a tiny bit. Do you have any extra that you are willing to share?

no i dont use it. I was just checking. You said you got what you wanted out of this thread and I knew you wanted some purple up for free so I assumed you got some. Do you want me to close this or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back