Looking for Reef Actif Experiences

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Skep18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've searched and read through quite a few threads and watched some videos regarding the TM product, Reef Actif. Promoting "good" bacteria growth, that is bacteria that is more able to process PO4 and is less NO3 consuming relative to their "bad" bacteria counter parts. Can be dosed regardless of PO4 levels. Improves coral uptake of phosphates. Etc. It all sounds so great yet I really cannot find that many user reviews on the product. Not like other mainstream consumables in this hobby which seem to be pretty extensively documented regarding user experience.

My tank steadily increases in PO4 which I currently manage currently with GFO. NO3 is always undetectable but I feed pretty heavy so I know nutrients are there. I would love to dose a product that promoted PO4 stability even if that means feeding more to maintain a significant presence of NO3-derivatives.

Has anyone used this (or the Bio-Actif Salt) in a coral-heavy tank and have feedback regarding coral response?

EDIT: I should add, my tank is 6 years old. I have a pretty long history of vodka dosing. In the past, I had elevated NO3 and PO4. Vodka, in my experience, worked well with that. But given my NO3 situation and my SPS are all growing and happy, I am not looking to target NO3 as I understand vodka dosing would be more apt to do.

Last edited:

Hans-Werner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've searched and read through quite a few threads and watched some videos regarding the TM product, Reef Actif. Promoting "good" bacteria growth, that is bacteria that is more able to process PO4 and is less NO3 consuming relative to their "bad" bacteria counter parts. Can be dosed regardless of PO4 levels. Improves coral uptake of phosphates. Etc. It all sounds so great yet I really cannot find that many user reviews on the product. Not like other mainstream consumables in this hobby which seem to be pretty extensively documented regarding user experience.

My tank steadily increases in PO4 which I currently manage currently with GFO. NO3 is always undetectable but I feed pretty heavy so I know nutrients are there. I would love to dose a product that promoted PO4 stability even if that means feeding more to maintain a significant presence of NO3-derivatives.

Has anyone used this (or the Bio-Actif Salt) in a coral-heavy tank and have feedback regarding coral response?

EDIT: I should add, my tank is 6 years old. I have a pretty long history of vodka dosing. In the past, I had elevated NO3 and PO4. Vodka, in my experience, worked well with that. But given my NO3 situation and my SPS are all growing and happy, I am not looking to target NO3 as I understand vodka dosing would be more apt to do.
What would you like to know exactly?

Corals usually react to this product with better polyp extension, improved color and growth.

While I found no phosphate depletion, nitrate was lowered, most likely by bacteria growth.

OP
OP
Skep18

Skep18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What would you like to know exactly?

Corals usually react to this product with better polyp extension, improved color and growth.

While I found no phosphate depletion, nitrate was lowered, most likely by bacteria growth.

Wow, thanks for taking the time to reply to my thread.

As per my post, all the product descriptions sound great. I don't mean to cast doubt but I was just hoping to find some real user testimony as to the efficacy of the product in use.

Since bumping this thread this AM, I went ahead and bought some Reef Actif to try out. Given my past experience with other forms of carbon dosing and the described theory (?) that coral benefit from bacteria proliferation by consumption or symbiotic relationships or whatever the interaction, I feel compelled to carbon dose in some form to promote such an environment in my tank. I hope to see the benefits. My caution with simple vodka dosing is I don't currently have the detectable nutrients to spare in terms of nitrates. My phosphates are under control via GFO but given how slowly they rise in my tank I was curious to see if that rate would be effected by this product. I know TM has other carbon dosing products to manage PO4. I'm just not to that point yet I don't think.

I will ask two questions now that you're in here @Hans-Werner .

1. My understanding is Reef Actif is derived from seaweed. Correct me if that's an over simplification but I was curious, if that's true, is the dosing of this going to be any different than feeding my tangs nori? I imagine the delivery mechanism might benefit bacteria in the reef tank (if it is the same substance to any degree) but thought nori might show similar results after passing through the tang. But honestly, I have no idea (obviously).

2. My display tank is a 210gal with a 45gal sump. I saw some post on Reef Central where someone did some math and at full dose, one jar was enough for a 500L (i.e. 132gal) system for 50 weeks. Not sure if that's right or not. But how long should I expect one jar to last if dosed fully per instructions on the label? I anticipate I will start with lower doses but didn't know if I should expect to buy a jar per month or what.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply!

Hans-Werner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. My understanding is Reef Actif is derived from seaweed. Correct me if that's an over simplification but I was curious, if that's true, is the dosing of this going to be any different than feeding my tangs nori? I imagine the delivery mechanism might benefit bacteria in the reef tank (if it is the same substance to any degree) but thought nori might show similar results after passing through the tang. But honestly, I have no idea (obviously).
It may be similar but I am sure with Reef Actif the reaction is more pronounced. Also Nori are not very rich in those gel-like biopolymers.

2. My display tank is a 210gal with a 45gal sump. I saw some post on Reef Central where someone did some math and at full dose, one jar was enough for a 500L (i.e. 132gal) system for 50 weeks. Not sure if that's right or not. But how long should I expect one jar to last if dosed fully per instructions on the label? I anticipate I will start with lower doses but didn't know if I should expect to by a jar per month or what.
The jar is 60 g or 100 ml. One dosage for 500 l is 3 g. So it should last for 20 weeks when applying the full dosage. For your tank it is almost 50 weeks with ca. 1.2 g (2 ml) per dosage.

OP
OP
Skep18

Skep18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It may be similar but I am sure with Reef Actif the reaction is more pronounced. Also Nori are not very rich in those gel-like biopolymers.

The jar is 60 g or 100 ml. One dosage for 500 l is 3 g. So it should last for 20 weeks when applying the full dosage. For your tank it is almost 50 weeks with ca. 1.2 g (2 ml) per dosage.

The detail of gel-like polymers I feel like makes that explanation make a lot more sense, thank you!

Regarding the dosages, I'm thinking I may have made it confusing mixing measuring conventions (metric vs imperial). Without needing to get too specific, my system being roughly 965L, one jar would last roughly 10 weeks at full dose then, right? (I'm not sure what "ca." means, I apologize).

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used TM Reef Bio Actif salt. It mixes very well, clear, fresh, and quick. Not a storable, auto water change salt. You prep and mix then use. If you follow the instructions and process it is a great premium salt. I would notice good polyp extension right after for the next day or so. Is that attributed to the salt or the water change I don't know but it is more noticeable than when I used other salts. This is in my 210 gallon mixed display. Overall I was very happy with the salt and results. The only down side, if any, is that it is a mix and use. I am moving to an auto water change setup so switched.

Reef Actif standalone. My thought here was that I could use whatever salt I wanted for my auto water change then implement a daily dose, manual, of reef actif. It isn't the ideal solution because I'm a bit lazy and if it is a manual task it may not get done or get done consistently. This is somewhat important to note. Anyway I switched to TM Pro Reef salt, another find premium salt, and started testing reef actif. Somewhat cumbersome as it relates to getting it out of the container (container & scoop size) but once I worked through that I did not notice any negative side effects. I didn't notice as much polyp extension as I did using the bio actif salt but a few of the corals looked fluffy or had more noticeable polyp extension. I continued to use it for a couple months then stopped. No reason other than I was not being consistent in dosing it. If I could make it, store it, and using my dosing unit I would be better off or at least more consistent :D

As it relates to nutrients. I did not notice any change in my nitrates or phosphates when using either the salt or the stand along reef actif. It could be that mine are higher than most or it could be that it didn't do it. In either case that was not my goal of using either product. For reference my phosphate is 1.68 ppm. 210 gallon, mixed reef of 7 years.

TL; DR - salt is great, premium. Stand alone reef-actif is nice, worked, your mileage may vary but I did see some coral changes but did not see nutrient reduction nor was that my care or focus.

Hans-Werner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The detail of gel-like polymers I feel like makes that explanation make a lot more sense, thank you!

Regarding the dosages, I'm thinking I may have made it confusing mixing measuring conventions (metric vs imperial). Without needing to get too specific, my system being roughly 965L, one jar would last roughly 10 weeks at full dose then, right? (I'm not sure what "ca." means, I apologize).
Sorry, I confused gallons with the familiar liters. Yes, you are right, roughly 10 weeks.

OP
OP
Skep18

Skep18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
my phosphate is 1.68 ppm.

Thanks for the testimony! Glad to hear I'm risking very little in trying this out hopefully. My curiosity has me compelled though.

That said, HOLY MOLY! Am I reading that correctly? Having been in this hobby for 6 years now myself, I know better than to question others' success. I certainly am not doubting your tank is in a good place. But that's a lot of phosphate, right? Do you have a real mob of a clean up crew or algae eaters? Do you see a lot of algae growth from these levels? I thought I'd heard someone state actual phosphate levels, until they get really high, are not an issue for corals but more of an issue when combating algae. I can't clarify nor confirm that though. Just curious how that effects your experience in your tank. (I'm guessing you get this reaction a lot?)

OP
OP
Skep18

Skep18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sorry, I confused gallons with the familiar liters. Yes, you are right, roughly 10 weeks.
Thank you for taking the time to respond. I do appreciate it!

I'm going to give the product a try. I will be sure to update this thread over time with my experiences.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the testimony! Glad to hear I'm risking very little in trying this out hopefully. My curiosity has me compelled though.

Both salt, and stand alone, are of reasonable price and little effort to try. So there is little to no harm.

That said, HOLY MOLY! Am I reading that correctly? Having been in this hobby for 6 years now myself, I know better than to question others' success. I certainly am not doubting your tank is in a good place. But that's a lot of phosphate, right? Do you have a real mob of a clean up crew or algae eaters? Do you see a lot of algae growth from these levels? I thought I'd heard someone state actual phosphate levels, until they get really high, are not an issue for corals but more of an issue when combating algae. I can't clarify nor confirm that though. Just curious how that effects your experience in your tank. (I'm guessing you get this reaction a lot?)

It is just a number. 20 years ago we never tested for it. Today some lose sleep over it. It is all about understanding the ebb and flow of display and animals in our care. As I am sure you are aware each system and hobbyist is different.

With regards to algae it is a balance of herbivories. Not too many such that they starve, not too few they can't keep up, wrong kind that don't help, and so forth. I keep 1 tang, 1 rabbit, Links Goby, couple of red leg hermits, few turbos, rock boring urchin, tuxedo urchin, and a lot of strombus grazers (they breed in my display non stop so always have plenty). There are a few other things that help keep it in check but these are my main workers. Trying to grow corals is sort of a prime location for algae to grow thus the balance.

I do not believe you are challenging my success and the question you asked is perfectly fine. Yes, it is 1.68. Graph below. As is a video I took of my display last week. Middle purple plating coral is BC Efflo 2.0 and is about 20" across. It has more growth not visible behind it. The red and green montipora upper right. Green Palau acropora right has branches so thick I can't cut them unless I use a saw. Couple lps colonies, and new mini colonies upper left. Rose Bubble tips are spread out.

Phosphate over time:
1709745585857.png

Muffin87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I already run an Algae Reactor for nutrient control, but I'd like to get the benefits of Reef Actif (better polyp extension, improved color and growth, but not necessarily nutrient reduction).

Is it correct that NP-Bacto-Pellets are the same exact polymer as Reef Actif?

Can I use the NP-Bacto-Pellets together with the Algae Reactor, or are the pellets gonna outcompete the chaetomorpha for resources?

Any suggestion about the amount of NP-Bacto-Pellets per 100 litres of aquarium water, when using chaetomorpha for nutrient control?

Thanks a lot!

Pod_01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Late to reply, I used it and it seemed to have worked quite well. As mentioned polyp extension was noticeable and colour was nice on SPS corals.

Here is example of coral when I used it:
1709998759896.jpeg

Same coral now:
1709998841083.jpeg

Few more photos when I used it:
1709999093302.jpeg

1709999156517.jpeg

Was it Reef Actif or something else not sure… Since I run out the colour on all of my sticks has faded.

Unfortunately I am unable to get more unless I import and am willing to pay 4x the premium.

I inquired from local and online stores and the response has been from “sure we will look into it and radio silence” to go pound salt.

Good luck and if you use it do leave feedback.

OP
OP
Skep18

Skep18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Late to reply, I used it and it seemed to have worked quite well. As mentioned polyp extension was noticeable and colour was nice on SPS corals.

Thanks for the feedback! I hope you find a source for more soon!

Hans-Werner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I already run an Algae Reactor for nutrient control, but I'd like to get the benefits of Reef Actif (better polyp extension, improved color and growth, but not necessarily nutrient reduction).

Is it correct that NP-Bacto-Pellets are the same exact polymer as Reef Actif?

Can I use the NP-Bacto-Pellets together with the Algae Reactor, or are the pellets gonna outcompete the chaetomorpha for resources?

Any suggestion about the amount of NP-Bacto-Pellets per 100 litres of aquarium water, when using chaetomorpha for nutrient control?

Thanks a lot!
Sorry for my late reply. NP-Bacto-Pellets are not the same polymer as Reef Actif. Bot are composed of biopolymers but different ones.

Reef Actif is mainly a mix of marine biopolymers while in NP-Bacto-Pellets the biopolymers are of bacterial and land plant origin.

Green algae like chaetomorpha need some nitrogen/nitrate and more iron than corals. The NP-Bacto-Pellets might outcompete the chaetomorpha for nutrients. I tried it once or twice and was not able to keep chaetomorpha in low nutrient systems while Caulerpa and Acanthophora thrive until you really limit the iron supply.

OP
OP
Skep18

Skep18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@Hans-Werner I got my Reef Actif in and dosed my first dose at lights on this AM. I started with a quarter dose to ease into it. A couple of questions came to mind. I should have mixed it into a larger cup. It looked pretty well mixed but after adding it to my return pump chamber I did see some small particulate in the display tanks. It was mostly small.

1. If stirred better, is it normal to see floating sediment around the tank?

2. My fish all started trying to eat the sediment that they could see. I have some young fish so they can see stuff quite small. I assume this won't be an issue? Seeing as its a seaweed derivate, it seems like it should be benign. That said, if its a "sugar" substance, can that much concentrate be noticeably detrimental to fish?

3. I put my skimmer on a 60min feed timer. Is this recommended to do each time to ensure the non-dissolved particulate isn't skimmed out of the water?

4. The pasty substance seems like it would thicken water. I would expect my skimmer to actively take this out. Should I leave it off for longer than 1hr?

OP
OP
Skep18

Skep18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
EDIT: It dawned on me, as with any carbon dosing, you probably want to maintain oxygen levels while doing so. For now, I've taken this as an opportunity to remove and clean my skimmer cup. I'm leaving my skimmer running with no cup to allow oxygenation of the water without removing skimmate for a bit to let the Reef Actif stay in suspension should skimming pull it out of the water column otherwise.

5. I'll add this as a question #5 to let Hans chime in to the above, whether that's appropriate/good idea or not.

OP
OP
Skep18

Skep18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I suppose I might ping @Lou Ekus for feedback on this as well. I feel like I'm seeing my skimmer scumming up in a way that feels quicker than normal but I could be making that up. I would hate to simply be pulling the Reef Actif out of the water. Or even letting it crust on the outside of my skimmer as it overflows... Obviously no emergency but I'm just curious as to the product guidance.

zackza

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is waterbox 35.2 with tunze macro algae reactor. I currently use tropic Marin bio-actif for 3 months now. It seems to control PO4 and NO3 in my tank.
PH always at 8.0
ALK 8.6 to 9.0
MAG 1420 to 1440
CAL 430 to 450

On January:
Before 10 gallons WC
NO3 - 25
PO4 - 0.44
1 week after WC
NO3 -19
PO4 - 0.33
February:
Before 10 gallons WC
NO3 - 23
PO4 - 0.21
1 week after WC
NO3 - 11.8
PO4 - 0.15
March
Before 10 gallons WC(snails and tiger couch die)
NO3 - 16.9
PO4 - 0.19
WC on 3/12/2024
NO3 - 11
PO4 0.14

I was struggling get nitrate down. It was about 90+ppm after using this salt I keep nitrate between 10-30 ppm and phosphate between 0.08-0.15.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back