Looking for RO/DI setup ideas

Raptor72

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm getting ready to order a RO/DI filter setup in the next week. I'm looking to get people's experience with their water container setups. If you have pictures of your setup, it would be nice to see also.

Thanks

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will not find a better RO/DI than Spectrapure guaranteed, they have been doing just that for over 25 years in Tempe AZ with a real brick and mortar building not a Chinese shipping container and warehouse.

I store my RO/DI for the ATO in a 23 gallon Rubbermaid recycling can with float switches installed so the level must drop 11 gallons before it cycles on again so I reduce the effects of TDS creep. Float valves on the other hand start and stop frequently leading to TDS issues and short RO cycles which lead to premature membrane failure due to fouling since they don't get flushed well.

My recommendation for reef use is the Spectrapure MaxCap on sale here but a little cheaper at places like Marine Depot or Premium Aquatics. Also the $120 unit at the top of the flyer is a killer deal that will probably end soon. Nowhere else will you find 0.5 micron absolute rated prefilters, a 0.5 micron 20,000 gallon carbon block, a treated and tested high rejection rate 90 GPD RO membrane, custom blended DI resin in a full size 20 oz vertical refillable canister and cartridge, a capillary tube flow restrictor you trim yourself according to your specific conditions for an exact waste ratio and a inline pressure gauge for that kind of money.
Untitled Document

If you look at their website, www.spectrapure.com , you will find many options for liquid level controllers listed under that label along the lower left side. You will also find dozens of installation options on the right side under Tech Support- Hook Up Diagrams and at the top under Manuals.

fish&corals

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey rap .. i have a ro/di set up .. i use a 55 gallon brute trash can to store water in with a mag 7 pump keeping the water moving so i dont get growth in it .. been doing this over years not .. i replace my filters every 6 months dont matter what my TDs is cause the water in fla is really hard being out by the beach .. there is alot of good systems out there .. i got mine at air water and ice for a really good price , they always have good sales going on month to month just have to keep a eye on them .. give them a call see what kinds of specials they are running ..

Aquarium Water | Reverse Osmosis | RODI Water | ReefKeeper Water | Products and answers for your water treatment needs.

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AWI uses too coarse of replacement filters unless you get their optional ones, 10 microns is like a screen door and plugs the first unneeded carbon block. A better low micron prefilter and a single carbon block work better, cost less to replace and cause less restriction to the membrane.

prefilters and carbons have nothing to do with final TDS, they trap suspended solids and chlorine not dissolved solids which is the job of the membrane and DI. Always replace filters and disinfect the system every 6 months regardless whose system it is.

OP
OP
Raptor72

Raptor72

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, this is all great information! I already have a seller in mind. I was wondering more on the mechanics of the whole thing once it's put together. Do you just make the water in the container, then mix salt and wheel it over to the DT (24 hours later)?

My setup will be in the garage hooked up to my water heater supply line. I'm thinking that once I have the water mixed I will have to roll the Brute container over to my DT to do the transfer.

Also, I read that not all of the water is saved, that in fact some of the water coming out of the filter is actually discarded. What can you tell me on that?

Thanks for your help

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The normal RO or RO/DI system has a 4:1 waste ratio meaning for every 1 gallon you treat you waste 4 gallons of brine or high TDS water, this is across the board and not something you can get around without spending a lot of money as I did.
My RO/DI is also in the garage as is my 23 gallons of storage in a Rubbermaid recycling can with float switches to control the RO/DI on and off. I have to plumbed to a ATO system in my sump which controls the water in the tank.
For water changes I draw water from the Rubbermaid and place it i n 5G water jugs which I later mix with salt for changes, I don't wait 24 hours though as this has been demonstrated to be not necessary.

I used to buy all my stuff from AWI but lost faith in them some time ago when they stayed with old technology and ideas, things have progressed and they have stood still, plus their customer service is the pits, they never answer their forums.

OP
OP
Raptor72

Raptor72

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, 4:1 huh? That seems like such a waste. I'll have to find something to do with that waste water. Did you say you got around it?

I'm planning on getting my filter at a site called the filter guys. It was recommended by a friend.

RO/DI Systems

Thanks for the input.

fish&corals

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
raptor those are the nice ones .. im thinking about upgrading mine .. i just replaced the filters on it less then a month ago but i want something that will do more GPD

NaplesAquatics

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AWI uses too coarse of replacement filters unless you get their optional ones...
This is exactly what I did, I use 1 micron wound filters as the first stage. But I'm on clean municipal water. I also plan on upgrading the membrane when the time comes. AWI was a better cost for me than the Spectrapure at the time.

Jeff

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can do better than Filter Guys.

4:1 waste ratio is the industry standard no matter whose membrane it is.
I purchased a Spectrapure MaxCap UHE 1:1 waste system 3 years ago and am runing it at slightly less than 1:1 but it was expensive to purchase initially. The cost to operate though is much lower since things last so much longer, I figure it has about paid for itself already.

I suggest looking at
www.spectrapure.com They also have a sale flyer right now Untitled Document

www.buckeyefieldsupply.com their 75 GPD Premium is a great system

www.purelyh2o.com their Optima series are good systems

www.melevsreef.com his 100 GPD Reefkeeper is a nice system

rybitski

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AZ could you explain how you have your water tank plumbed? I am very curious about how you can make it wait till it drops 11 gallons before it turns back on. Is this electronic or controlled by float valves? Pictures would be extremely helpful!

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a 23 gallon Rubbermaid recycling can in which I have installed 24v DC float switches. The switches are 12" apart so the level must drop that foot or 11 calculated gallons before it activates the lower switch which turns on a soenoid valve and starts the RO/DI fill cycle. When it hits the upper switch it shuts off and so on. The float switches and solenoid can be found here:
Solenoid Valve Controller by SpectraPure

storage001.jpg

storage002.jpg

Since those photos were taken I switched out the small drain valve to a 3/4" ball valve in a bulkhead fitting as the small plastic valve did not seal well and dripped. The small 1/4" bulkhead close to the top is my fill line in with an air gap above the water level and the 3/8" one near the bottom is the line which flushes the membrane on my Spectrapure MaxCap UHE which uses stored DI to flush and store the membrane when not in use so it stays clean and bacially does away with TDS creep.

rybitski

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for posting pictures, that is a really slick setup. Where did you find the recycling bin at? It seems like it would be just the right size.

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Home Depot and Lowes both had it, I got it at Home Depot out in the garden area up on one of the racks with all the other cans.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 51 20.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 182 72.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.8%
Back