Looking for some advice on upgrading tank

Mattyreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an IM25 lagoon that's been running for about 2 years. I just ordered a new IM50 and I'm planning on moving all of the 25 over and eventually selling it.

My plan is to start with all new sand and add 15-20 lbs of dry live rock. Then move everything over (rock, coral, livestock). I want to eventually add some fish but for now there will be no change in livestock.

Should i put the new rock and sand then move the rest over right away? Or should I cycle the new tank first with the new rock and sand before I make the move? I'm in no rush to make the switch so timing isn't a factor.

20220925_164252.jpg 20220918_162102.jpg

bobnicaragua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stack all the new rock in your current tank now and let your existing rock seed it. Then move everything over at once.

I used this method when going from a 65 gal to a 135. I had no issues at all.

OP
OP
Mattyreefs

Mattyreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wish I could take that approach. I'm probably going to add some extra media ahead of time to the old tank and seed it but there's no way I'll fit any rock. I could probably fit 1-2lb in there, no where close to the 20lb I plan to add.

Gatorpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wish I could take that approach. I'm probably going to add some extra media ahead of time to the old tank and seed it but there's no way I'll fit any rock. I could probably fit 1-2lb in there, no where close to the 20lb I plan to add.
Could you add on a sump to the old system and put the new rock in there?

If you can’t the old rock will have enough filtration to maintain the same bio load that was in the 25. So I would think you can add the new and the old all at once

OP
OP
Mattyreefs

Mattyreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you add on a sump to the old system and put the new rock in there?

If you can’t the old rock will have enough filtration to maintain the same bio load that was in the 25. So I would think you can add the new and the old all at once
Not really an option for me. Thinking I might squeeze as much biomedia in the aio section and seed it for a couple weeks then just move everything over.

Just not sure of there's a benefit to cycling the new tank (sand and extra rock) or waiting until I move it all and skipping a cycle.

Gatorpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really an option for me. Thinking I might squeeze as much biomedia in the aio section and seed it for a couple weeks then just move everything over.

Just not sure of there's a benefit to cycling the new tank (sand and extra rock) or waiting until I move it all and skipping a cycle.
I’d bet you have enough bio filter with the live rock to skip cycle it.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 83.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.9%
Back