Looking for suggestions on what to do with my system.

Driftdiver

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Approximately 12 years ago in an apparent momentary lapse of impulse control I bought my 225 gallon tank plus wood stand and high canopy (to accommodate my halides) from my LFS. I describe this as a lapse of impulse control because it wasn’t the custom tank and stand that I had planned on buying but I was tired of waiting. (Part of the problem was I used to have a top tier LFS who would gladly custom order tanks and stands at cost but when I moved back East the shops were not very helpful and looked at me cross when I asked about ordering glass tanks with double eurobracing etc.). Regardless I bought a mass produced tank and stand which I hate but have just been dealing with. Fast forward a decade and the inside of the canopy is essentially peeling off and material fell into the tank killing everything. The stand itself is showing some warping and salt damage, which is not unexpected. I am a bit worried about just trying to “fix” the canopy .

Any suggestions on rendering the canopy safe? Is it even worth trying to fix given the age? My previous setups lasted twice this long and still looked brand new

I don’t want to buy a new stand/canopy if possible because of the cost. Plus, if I am going to have to buy again I want to actually order the custom tank.

Thanks.

Driftdiver

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @Driftdiver

i think a lot of the answer depends on what materials the cabinet is made from. Solid woods can be stripped, sanded refinished. Plywood/osb/mdf with a veneer will have a limit on repair options.

maybe a few pics can help. There are a lot of good woodworkers on here that can help

OP
OP
D

Driftdiver

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I bought it it was sold as solid wood, but I have never seen solid wood slough like this. The left hand side is where the wood started dripping Thanks.

194A9938-FF0A-49E1-904B-3DD2086CDE6A.jpeg 1F2DB2D1-CA36-496B-BE03-59CD2053D76F.jpeg 75518A4B-AEF4-4CD9-BE7E-5CAA1692627A.jpeg 139BE526-9E48-4FCC-B164-1142B1F6F419.jpeg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 22.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 34.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 63 31.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back