Looking for the best dosing solution

Tuan’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I'm starting to stock my tank with lots of corals (mixed reef) including acros, montis. I've been manual dosing as there isn't alot in there currently but will soon.

I've been waiting for the Versa to come back in stock (it has) and really like the way it looks and operate. I'll need 3 so that's $600 for 3. Main option
option 2. Go with Apex DOS and save a little. I'll have to either manual dose Mag or get another Dos system or K1 Kamoer doser for mag

Maybe go with kalk in the ATO ? seems like this is the cheapest solution.

1ocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am doing Versa to dose Kalk and a second as my ato for rodi water. It is a little work to calculate evap rates during the year as temp change but I am not a fan of those ato pump systems...I also have GHL KH director and slave dosing pumps. Waiting to get my hands on a GHL ION director too. Did you check saltwateraquarium.com ? I just looked they have some, so do a few other co...and they have replacement heads back in stock...I need a few for backups...

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You also may not need to dose mag.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tuan’s Reef

Tuan’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I am doing Versa to dose Kalk and a second as my ato for rodi water. It is a little work to calculate evap rates during the year as temp change but I am not a fan of those ato pump systems...I also have GHL KH director and slave dosing pumps. Waiting to get my hands on a GHL ION director too. Did you check saltwateraquarium.com ? I just looked they have some, so do a few other co...and they have replacement heads back in stock...I need a few for backups...

I like using the Versa as the doser for Kalk idea. I think with this setup I can get my PH to stay 8.2-8.3 range. I am currently getting 8.0-8.2 PH with a Co2 scrubber. I just added Chaeto last week with a refug light and that added some night time stability.

1ocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cool... I did the refug thing on my my 140 but when we replaced it with a 300 I built a sulfur reactor with a aragonite reactor tied to it.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted versa to add to my mobius but they never were in stock. I went with a red sea doser and could not be more satisfied. Reef beat app works great and the doser is so compact fits nice in the cabinet.

Tegridy Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Kalk was the best thing I added to my tank totally recommend my only issue is that it’s tough on the pumps I use it in my top off. But I think i like it so much because of the ph raising it does

BanjoBandito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kalk in the ATO is fine but just don’t slack on maintenance of the ATO jug and ATO pump. Don’t let the kalk form chunks or scaling. You’ll snow storm you tank and that ain’t good for anyone. I dose kalk independent of the ATO after I thought shaking my ATO jug to get enough water to prime the pump was a good idea. Blew a bunch of kalk chunks in my tank and nuked a couple corals. Seems like everyone dosing kalk eventually does it, so just watch the buildup!

OP
OP
Tuan’s Reef

Tuan’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
cha ching! lol

1656203785095.png

JCM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kalk in the ATO is fine but just don’t slack on maintenance of the ATO jug and ATO pump. Don’t let the kalk form chunks or scaling. You’ll snow storm you tank and that ain’t good for anyone. I dose kalk independent of the ATO after I thought shaking my ATO jug to get enough water to prime the pump was a good idea. Blew a bunch of kalk chunks in my tank and nuked a couple corals. Seems like everyone dosing kalk eventually does it, so just watch the buildup!

Solid advice. My ato is a 5 gallon bucket that lasts right at one week. Each Sunday I take it outside and dump the remaining 1/4 gallon before refilling. This avoids any chance of buildup in the container that could cause issues later on.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 16.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 24 57.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 4.8%
Back