Looking for tips on photographing fish.

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a D40 with a Sigma 150mm Macro lens and can't seem to figure out the best way to get good pics. Is it just a matter of taking 100s and getting a few good ones? Using manual mode, how do you change your settings fast enough since the fish is swimming back and forth, up and down, front to back? Here are a few I took tonight but still not very happy with. Including a few others as well. All were using the Auto mode on the camera with no flash without a tripod. Would I have better luck with a tripod you think?

DSC_3495.jpg

DSC_3502.jpg

DSC_3293.jpg

The tank needed to be cleaned on this one to help get rid of that white spot:
DSC_3423.jpg

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I white balance it first ssince your wb is way off. I like to get settings straight about a 8 app and atleast a 125 shutter. Also a tripod helps alot IMO.

BeakerBob

Moderator / Lab Rat
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've found that the best pictures are from using an off-the-camera flash, set up high to one side shooting downward. Shut off the on-camera flash and use the remote flash only at an f/stop that is within 2 stops of the ambient light if possible to have some background present in the picture.

The hardest part is getting the fish in the viewfinder and in focus. Some of the top-end DSLR cameras have a fantastic auto-focusing....if yours doesn't, set the focus on manual, focus at a point where the fish will swim in the tank and move with the fish side-to-side to take the shot. If you have continuous shooting, you can take multiple shots by holding the shutter release down. This way, the fish can move into the zone of focus. Other fish will sit there and pose for you making life easier, but in may cases where the fish is constantly swimming, I find that they have a pattern that will allow for the ambush using prefocusing.

BeakerBob

Moderator / Lab Rat
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some shots using a remote flash with a diffuser cup on the flash head to soften the light and shadows:

R2R-DSC_2136.jpg

DSC_3858b.jpg

DSC_2242a.jpg

11DSC_7768.jpg

BlackBlenny.jpg

PruessDSC_4860.jpg

PJCardinal3.jpg

OP
OP
btkrausen

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys. I do have auto focus with this macro lens which is the reason I went with the Sigma instead of the Nikon which didn't support auto focus at the time.

I'm gonna get out the manual and try to work with your suggestions.

OP
OP
btkrausen

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the flash not get reflected by the glass? I really want pictures kinda like the third one down with no background that focuses on only the fish since I'm a fish only setup.

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I found the sweet spot in my camera earlier. I shoot with a Canon T2i with 100 mm macro and I use the flash. I use the M function and played with the f-stop and ISO. it took a while to get it fined tuned. I can pm you the settings if it'll help. I also use IrfanView to crop the pics and add the borders. here's the shots I took earlier after post processing with IrfanView. you need a lot of practice esp for the wrasses since they move so fast. you kinda have to time and anticipate which way they're gonna go. also, you'll find that certain fish have habits... like hanging out a the same spot or at least continue to go back to a spot, etc...

I dunno if the above helped at all but if you have any q's and if I can help, just pm me.

12-31-11640Pic3.jpg

12-31-11640Pic5.jpg

12-31-11640Pic2.jpg

12-31-11640Pic4.jpg

12-31-11640Pic1.jpg

OP
OP
btkrausen

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice Marvin. I once used to know all the manual settings for the camera but haven't messed with it for a while now. Need to get back in it with all these nice fish I have in my tank :)

I also need to get a better DOF so my shots like your second to last look as good.

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice Marvin. I once used to know all the manual settings for the camera but haven't messed with it for a while now. Need to get back in it with all these nice fish I have in my tank :)

I also need to get a better DOF so my shots like your second to last look as good.
I was able to take decent pics a while back but didn't take any pics for during the summer so I lost it all. LoL. now that I got back to taking more pics, (as you can tell, haha); I'm able to take better pics again after 3-4 weeks of practicing. ;)

I'm sure you'll get the hang of it in no time. taking fish pics with flash is the way to go though, for me anyway. have fun with it man.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 174 71.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 45 18.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back