Looking for VERY Rare Macroalgae

reddevilant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might actually have few things you're looking for. I have iridescent dictyota that glows blue with high light, I recently got what I believe is Cryptonemia crenulata , and I may have a neomeris species but I'm not entirely sure.

Here is some pictures. Unfortunately, I don't have a pic of the cryptonemia on my phone right now but I could send you one later. This little batch of dictyota is lower in the tank so you can't see the blue iridescence. When I bought this green algae it was labeled as "Green Neo finger algae" on ebay. I'm nearly certain it is not Neomeris annulata but it may be a different Neomeris species. It didn't do great when I first added it to my tank so I lost half of it but, it is bouncing back now.

IMG_4624.jpg IMG_4941.jpg

OP
OP
WheatToast

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might actually have few things you're looking for. I have iridescent dictyota that glows blue with high light, I recently got what I believe is Cryptonemia crenulata , and I may have a neomeris species but I'm not entirely sure.

Here is some pictures. Unfortunately, I don't have a pic of the cryptonemia on my phone right now but I could send you one later. This little batch of dictyota is lower in the tank so you can't see the blue iridescence. When I bought this green algae it was labeled as "Green Neo finger algae" on ebay. I'm nearly certain it is not Neomeris annulata but it may be a different Neomeris species. It didn't do great when I first added it to my tank so I lost half of it but, it is bouncing back now.

IMG_4624.jpg IMG_4941.jpg
Thanks for letting me know! I am very interested!
But wait a minute… I remember seeing the “Green Neo finger”…
602A5773-2D96-423F-AC6F-8B7533DB16F6.png

I'm nearly certain it is not Neomeris annulata but it may be a different Neomeris species.
I agree. It looks a lot like Batophora, which I am also searching for (see post #1 on this thread). Great find! Are you providing it anything special to help it grow?

reddevilant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for letting me know! I am very interested!
But wait a minute… I remember seeing the “Green Neo finger”…

I agree. It looks a lot like Batophora, which I am also searching for (see post #1 on this thread). Great find! Are you providing it anything special to help it grow?
Yup that's the one I bought, definitely looks like Batophora! Thanks, for helping with the ID. With my current livestock I haven't needed to dose anything. My fish provide more than enough fertilizer lol. It seems to be a slow grower so I'm still trying to figure out the best placement for it in regards to flow and lighting.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@WheatToast

With respect to the GCE and the macros you are looking for, try their red macro & green macro grab bags. The varieties in these bags is seasonal.

If you are interested in Gulf of Mexico macros, I suggest getting diver collected live rock from Gulf Live Rock.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    177.6 KB · Views: 76
OP
OP
WheatToast

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@WheatToast

With respect to the GCE and the macros you are looking for, try their red macro & green macro grab bags. The varieties in these bags is seasonal.

If you are interested in Gulf of Mexico macros, I suggest getting diver collected live rock from Gulf Live Rock.

Thanks for sharing! That Halimeda sampler seems especially neat!

By the way, it looks like Gulf Coast Ecosystems once sold brown macroalgae samplers (Wayback Machine) but stopped years ago. What a shame! That product contained some really interesting and rarer species (such as a few on my list).

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing! That Halimeda sampler seems especially neat!

By the way, it looks like Gulf Coast Ecosystems once sold brown macroalgae samplers (Wayback Machine) but stopped years ago. What a shame! That product contained some really interesting and rarer species (such as a few on my list).

GCE has two people and a dog. Talk with Russ, he is not so busy during winter because diving is not so good. As I suggested, get some diver collected uncured live rock from Gulf live rock. Six months ago, I got 100 lbs of live rock to go into 500G of tanks in my home. In the 55G six month young tank, a 1lb rock the sizeof my fist grew into 1/3 of the tank. The growth included two kinds of Dragons Breath & Red Grapes (Bortacladia). When this rock got to me, the only macro evident was Halimedia, which I removed as its not my “cup of tea”. I think I have Halymenia Elongata and not NEMASTOMA. The Elongata is amongst HALYMENIA FLORESIA & HALYMENIA FLORIDANA.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    185 KB · Views: 63
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    216.3 KB · Views: 55
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    235.5 KB · Views: 52
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    228.5 KB · Views: 56
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    268.3 KB · Views: 52

HeyLookItsCaps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey bud, I just went through my fuge and all the “semi regular” stuff I put in is doing great.

Fuge clean out day today

With that being said, are you planning or would you consider selling/trading some of your more unusual macros? I really enjoy the display fuge, arguably as much as the main tank. If you see anything in those photos of interest to you it’s yours. I can keep an eye out here in Texas for you too

raincityjulia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Free bump for you... and I too am looking for similar rare macroalgae... so anyone willing to sell some, please let me know! I would buy everything on the LA Reefs web site... but it looks like everything is out of stock. So I can only guess they are out of business, or taking an extended break...

reddevilant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Free bump for you... and I too am looking for similar rare macroalgae... so anyone willing to sell some, please let me know! I would buy everything on the LA Reefs web site... but it looks like everything is out of stock. So I can only guess they are out of business, or taking an extended break...
Yeah the stuff on their website looks so cool! The do have an ebay shop but they very rarely have macros and it's never the more interesting, rarer species.

LilsReefTank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump.

I too would love to purchase macro algae. Any and all, please let me know!!

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 70 53.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 25.8%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.8%
Back