Looking to add at least one more fish - compatibility question

YourInsuranceDude

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

I have had the current stock in my tank for roughly 6-7 months (tank is over a year old) now with seemingly no issues of compatibility. I would like to add one or two more fish, depending on whether its possible or not, but want to make sure I avoid any aggression issues.

I have a 75g tank with two major rock 'structures'. One is like a cave and the other is like a clump of rocks with space in between. Currently, I have:

- 2 ocellaris clownfish (2-3 years old)
- 1 blue tang (1 year old, about 2.5-3 inches** I will be upgrading to a 125 or 180. The space is reserved in my basement and the planning stages are underway - once my wedding and its related expenses are done this Fall, I can start purchasing materials).
- 1 six tailed wrasse
- 1 neon blue dottyback (my possible problem child)
- 1 yellow watchman goby
- 1 tail spotted blenny

Everyone gets along great. It warms my heart the way they all swim around each other while eating or just hanging out. I was misled by a LFS when purchasing the wrasse and dottyback - my fault for not doing the proper research on them to know they can be issues. I know the dottyback is the culprit for my tiger shrimp disappearing. So, even though they have gotten along well, I know any new additions could be problematic.

I can most likely trade my neon blue dottyback to a friend (for coral) if he is most likely going to be an issue with 80% of fish out there, but would like to avoid doing so since he is well behaved (for now). Not only do I like the little guy, but catching him would be a royal PITA.

So, yeah, would love to hear what fish folks think I could add to my tank to avoid any issues. I would like to play it safe despite my error in the dottyback and wrasse purchases.

OP
OP
Y

YourInsuranceDude

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
341DDBF8-AECB-4800-805E-8626FEE6A943.jpeg

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

I have had the current stock in my tank for roughly 6-7 months (tank is over a year old) now with seemingly no issues of compatibility. I would like to add one or two more fish, depending on whether its possible or not, but want to make sure I avoid any aggression issues.

I have a 75g tank with two major rock 'structures'. One is like a cave and the other is like a clump of rocks with space in between. Currently, I have:

- 2 ocellaris clownfish (2-3 years old)
- 1 blue tang (1 year old, about 2.5-3 inches** I will be upgrading to a 125 or 180. The space is reserved in my basement and the planning stages are underway - once my wedding and its related expenses are done this Fall, I can start purchasing materials).
- 1 six tailed wrasse
- 1 neon blue dottyback (my possible problem child)
- 1 yellow watchman goby
- 1 tail spotted blenny

Everyone gets along great. It warms my heart the way they all swim around each other while eating or just hanging out. I was misled by a LFS when purchasing the wrasse and dottyback - my fault for not doing the proper research on them to know they can be issues. I know the dottyback is the culprit for my tiger shrimp disappearing. So, even though they have gotten along well, I know any new additions could be problematic.

I can most likely trade my neon blue dottyback to a friend (for coral) if he is most likely going to be an issue with 80% of fish out there, but would like to avoid doing so since he is well behaved (for now). Not only do I like the little guy, but catching him would be a royal PITA.

So, yeah, would love to hear what fish folks think I could add to my tank to avoid any issues. I would like to play it safe despite my error in the dottyback and wrasse purchases.
I’d say more wrasses but if you have a sixline (P’cheilinus ataenia) then I wouldn’t.
Maybe try find an Angel species? If you’re planning to upgrade within a year or two you could start with a small Chaetodontoplus species, personally I love the singapores for the simplicity and minimal colours.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back