• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

Looking to buy an automatic top off or a combo of auto water changer/top off

Pete Horwath

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that's a tough one as I spend more time with ATO problems then anything else on my tanks. I'm running three different types and they all have their pros and cons.

Neptune ATO ($199) I have 3 of these and they are very good at sensing water level but the pumps are problematic. I think mostly because there is a very small orifice inside the shut off valve that will clog very easily causing you to have to open it up and clean it all the time. I do like the fact they work with or without the Apex controller. If you make sure your ATO tank is very clean this are okay but they are probably my least favorite Neptune product.

XP Aquatic Duetto ($119 Amazon) works 95% of the time fine but once in awhile it just doesn't pump water. I have run two of these and they both do the same thing. Good thing is they do always beep at you so you know there is a problem but they are a little scary if you have to travel for a long time.

Hydor, smart level controller ($87 Amazon) pretty reliable if you keep the sensors clean. I clean them every month. These do NOT come with a pump so you have to get that separate. Most of my problems with this one has been with the pump not priming IF you keep the sensors clean.

OP
OP
H2Orchard

H2Orchard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh wow! Thanks for the thorough response! I only have a 33 gallon. I've heard that the pumps generally are not that good in these systems. Do you know of pumps that are better that would work with the Hydor?

James spinn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefbreeders # 1 For me love it at a great price. In use 4 months no problem.

joseserrano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a
Brand new XP aqua ultimate ATO-$175 shipped

IMG_6794.JPG

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 70 44.3%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 74 46.8%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 14 8.9%
Back