Looking to buy tide pool/tidal corals. Where to find these or other oddballs?

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't usually find many corals in tide pools. The water has very low oxygen after a few hours of being isolated, and can get up to 90F or more. On top of that, when it is high tide, the current is often too strong for anything prominent like LPS or branching species, unless the pool is really deep. They'd just get broken off.

The corals you do find are going to be the same sort you see on the regular reef, usually polyps like Zoas and Protopalys, or perhaps the occasional encrusting SPS/LPS. The concept of tide pools as a separate ecosystem from the ocean is flawed, it's just a place where unlucky animals get stranded. Almost any fish, invert, or coral which you might find in a tide pool is much more abundant on the reef.

encrustingacro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The intertidal coral reefs I know of are on the shores of Singapore and Western Australia, though there could be others.
In Singapore, you can find Oulastrea, Platygyra, Dipsastraea, Montipora digitata, Goniopora, Porites, Pavona, Pectinia, Lobophyllia, Pocillopora damicornis, Duncanopsammia peltata, Galaxea, Favites, etc.
In WA, common corals include, Goniopora, Turbinaria, Duncanopsammia peltata, Coelastrea palauensis, Porites, Moseleya, Plesiastrea, etc.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.6%
Back