• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

ISO Anchialine Pool Wild Material

rhizotron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's probably a long shot, but I hope somebody here or with an acquaintance in Hawaii might be able to (lawfully & ethically) find some of this wild material for shipping to me here (zip 53714) with a trade or sale.

I have a special interest in observing and culturing the microbial life of unique environments. A setup concept in mind will showcase the unique organisms of Hawaii anchialine pools including the endemic Opae Ula shrimp (Halocaridina rubra) as well the unique Algae, Cyanobacteria and Bacteria from this unique habitat. A field collection would ideally include a few shrimp as well as varied substrates (sand, mud, periphyton) and microbial samples to ship in separate watertight containers and represent the anchialine pool microbial ecosystem.

While some of the anchialine pools are on National Park Service land and possibly other protected area classifications where collection is prohibited, I understand that it is OK for locals to collect small amounts of Opae Ula or other material from pools that might be on private land or other areas.

Thanks for reading! Please let me know if you might have any interest in this or ideas for leads to follow. Cheers.

Below Flickr link shows an anchialine pool with the characteristic bright orange Cyanobacterium, Schizothrix calcicola.

Last edited:
OP
OP
rhizotron

rhizotron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went to look but couldn't see any policy regarding bumps in here(?).

Anyway it's been almost a week and I'm still looking. Anybody here in Hawaii or with contacts there?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 129 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.4%
Back