If there were no environmental concerns I'd prefer wild collected corals or at the very least maricultured and here's why:

mizimmer90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think he meant you...I got frustrated at people who weren't even reading the thread because they wanted to jump on the bandwagon as people do. I welcome your questions. Do they make sense to you? I really didn't think it was that crazy as certain members were acting.

Yeah! I think they make sense!

Dropping the role of an inquirer, in a similar way, part of my initial interest in this hobby has been how corals (and the reef environment) are so different to things in my day to day life. It's like an alien world, and the cultivation/exploration of something so foreign has had an almost magical feel. But, as I do this more and more, it becomes less foreign. A natural consequence would be trying to find things that I have never seen before to elicit that feel again, such as hunting down unique/diverse corals in the natural environment (a sort of chasing the dragon haha).

My initial comment on the psychological aspect comes from my own desire to be able to look at some corals with fresh eyes again! Alas, this is the price we pay for knowledge; demystification and familiarity.

Is this a fair assessment/comparison?

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Y
Yeah! I think they make sense!

Dropping the role of an inquirer, in a similar way, part of my initial interest in this hobby has been how corals (and the reef environment) are so different to things in my day to day life. It's like an alien world, and the cultivation/exploration of something so foreign has had an almost magical feel. But, as I do this more and more, it becomes less foreign. A natural consequence would be trying to find things that I have never seen before to elicit that feel again, such as hunting down unique/diverse corals in the natural environment (a sort of chasing the dragon haha).

My initial comment on the psychological aspect comes from my own desire to be able to look at some corals with fresh eyes again! Alas, this is the price we pay for knowledge; demystification and familiarity.

Is this a fair assessment/comparison?
Yes! I actually work as a researcher now (shhhh Anonymous here) and seeing all of it everyday makes it less exciting like everything else (I don't dare say monotonous, but I don't get the shock and awe feeling as much). You begin to look at stuff in an analytical way instead of as your first time seeing it during which nothing matters but comprehending how incredible it is. Flaws mean nothing at that point until you know what to look for.

mizimmer90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Y

Yes! I actually work as a researcher now (shhhh Anonymous here) and seeing all of it everyday makes it less exciting like everything else (I don't dare say monotonous, but I don't get the shock and awe feeling as much). You begin to look at stuff in an analytical way instead of as your first time seeing it during which nothing matters but comprehending how incredible it is. Flaws mean nothing at that point until you know what to look for.
Awesome, I'm a researcher too! Though it's in protein biophysics. That wonder feeling definitely wanes, but luckily there's still so much to explore!

You got a kindred spirit here. Thanks for posting!

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome, I'm a researcher too! Though it's in protein biophysics. That wonder feeling definitely wanes, but luckily there's still so much to explore!

You got a kindred spirit here. Thanks for posting!
Thanks! I think the wonder doesn't really fade completely, you just begin to appreciate whatever it is in a more "mature" way.

NoFeedback

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I would prefer wild specimens for the reasons you stated. When I entered the hobby, that was the only option available. Unfortunately, a tank crash took those all away from me. I think it is a fact that frags have less impact on the reef so I generally support that approach now.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I would prefer wild specimens for the reasons you stated. When I entered the hobby, that was the only option available. Unfortunately, a tank crash took those all away from me. I think it is a fact that frags have less impact on the reef so I generally support that approach now.
I've done research on that specific topic and aquaculture does help some but not as much as many would think.

NoFeedback

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting information. The undercurrent in this type of conversation is that there is a difference between what you think and what you actually know. Determining a positive environmental action can be very complicated, even if you have good intentions!

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting information. The undercurrent in this type of conversation is that there is a difference between what you think and what you actually know. Determining a positive environmental action can be very complicated, even if you have good intentions!
I think if you make side purchases and take the best care you can of whatever livestock you have , its perfectly fine

CoastalTownLayabout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For your particular circumstance isn’t it more a question of necessity than choice? How big is the aquacultured coral scene in Bangers? Are they as affordable and accessible as wild caught?

Regardless, I think it’s a great experience for a relatively new hobbyist like yourself to be in that market. You’re the veritable kid in a candy store. I see no reason to bludgeon your enthusiasm.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For your particular circumstance isn’t it more a question of necessity than choice? How big is the aquacultured coral scene in Bangers? Are they as affordable and accessible as wild caught?

Regardless, I think it’s a great experience for a relatively new hobbyist like yourself to be in that market. You’re the veritable kid in a candy store. I see no reason to bludgeon your enthusiasm.
There are some aquacultured but they're not listed apart and are the same price. Thanks for understanding how overwhelmingly exciting it is the way the market works here!

CoastalTownLayabout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are some aquacultured but they're not listed apart and are the same price. Thanks for understanding how overwhelmingly exciting it is the way the market works here!

Well, when you’re living or spending significant time in a different country you really have to accept and adapt to certain things that may be a bit uncomfortable or at odds with your values. Moralising rarely goes down well.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, when you’re living or spending significant time in a different country you really have to accept and adapt to certain things that may be a bit uncomfortable or at odds with your values. Moralising rarely goes down well.
I mean no place is perfect but yeah...in terms of animals like fish and corals they're taken pretty good care of. Then you'll pass by a few chines up money's for sale. The thing is, the seller won't think it's inhumane.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't care lol. Why care if a coral is unique? What even is practical about being unique? The only way you can tell is if you went into the corals genome and saw that this bubblecoral has a slightly unique genome compared to the other bubble coral. I understand though if you are looking at unique shape and what not, but I feel like non wild corals all grow in unique ways :)

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PS all living corals of a species are clones in the practical sense unless you are a geneticist.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PS all living corals of a species are clones in the practical sense unless you are a geneticist.
Yes and no... Some may have a harsher environment in the wild and be more hardy, more able to survive in captivity.

Reefer911

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I’m left wondering is, are all these crazy color morphs from the wild?? I mean, a Raja Rampage chalice is frikkin awesome to look at. Does it really exist in the wild like that?

*I assume it does, I just don’t see how one would genetically modify a coral

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 79 55.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%
Back