Looking to get a 3d printer

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m looking at getting a 3d printer but I know nothing about them. I was looking at the ender 3 as I read that one is really good. I’m wondering if I would also need to buy AutoCAD to build stuff or if I could just get files from online? How hard is it to learn how to do? Also what kind of filament would I need? I appreciate any help!

ElementReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s not hard. You don’t need CAD to design things, and there are even free online apps for basic design.

The filaments popular with reefers are PETG and PLA, with a few also using ABS. I have used PETG and PLA for many applications in my tanks.

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you thinking you want to print? If you are looking at small parts the Ender 3 with a few mods works well. If you need to print larger items I would look at the Ender 5 Plus. If you are thinking more small parts check out a stereolithography printer before you buy. As for software you will inevitably end up with something like veracad to cura if you are doing complex parts. Blender will also work but it can be kinda janky. If you wanna try your hand at very basic designs before you buy anything check out tinkercad.com

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m looking at getting a 3d printer but I know nothing about them. I was looking at the ender 3 as I read that one is really good. I’m wondering if I would also need to buy AutoCAD to build stuff or if I could just get files from online? How hard is it to learn how to do? Also what kind of filament would I need? I appreciate any help!
I have an ender 3. Very good starter printer!! One thing they dont tell you is you need a slicing software on your computer to get the file to your SD card.

OP
OP
Lps_lover12

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s not hard. You don’t need CAD to design things, and there are even free online apps for basic design.

The filaments popular with reefers are PETG and PLA, with a few also using ABS. I have used PETG and PLA for many applications in my tanks.
I’ll take a look into those thank you

OP
OP
Lps_lover12

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you thinking you want to print? If you are looking at small parts the Ender 3 with a few mods works well. If you need to print larger items I would look at the Ender 5 Plus. If you are thinking more small parts check out a stereolithography printer before you buy. As for software you will inevitably end up with something like veracad to cura if you are doing complex parts. Blender will also work but it can be kinda janky. If you wanna try your hand at very basic designs before you buy anything check out tinkercad.com
Mostly small parts, nothing big at the moment but I’d rather get bigger now then have to buy it down the line. Thank you

OP
OP
Lps_lover12

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an ender 3. Very good starter printer!! One thing they dont tell you is you need a slicing software on your computer to get the file to your SD card.
Good to know thank you, glad I found this out before I bought it

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know thank you, glad I found this out before I bought it
Yeah the software I have is a free version and works well for just loading other people’s files and sizing them but you would need the full version to create more than just the basic shapes of things! I forget the software, I can look when Im home if you need it. As for the filament, I just use a generic one from amazon thats the right size for my printer.

Gp!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably need to define a budget. There are a lot of options out there. AutoCAD is 2d design software and won't help you print. You could try Autodesk fusion. Or inventor but there are lots of choices for software too

OP
OP
Lps_lover12

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah the software I have is a free version and works well for just loading other people’s files and sizing them but you would need the full version to create more than just the basic shapes of things! I forget the software, I can look when Im home if you need it. As for the filament, I just use a generic one from amazon thats the right size for my printer.
I would be doing the same as you and just using others peoples files and maybe one day design my own stuff. Thanks again!

OP
OP
Lps_lover12

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably need to define a budget. There are a lot of options out there. AutoCAD is 2d design software and won't help you print. You could try Autodesk fusion. Or inventor but there are lots of choices for software too
Just looking around now to see how hard it is to get setup and stuff.

Gundy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am in the exact position as Lps lover. I don’t know a thing about printing but would love to be able to design and make some cool parts for my tank. What is the learning curve? keep in mind that I’m not that computer savvy like you young guys are. How long to learn some basic skills? Would I need to spend about 2K- total cost-for a good printer set up that I can grow into and keep for a while?

Last edited:

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ender 3 is a perfecty functional machine, and if you have a microcenter near you, they are likely on sale for $100. I print things on my ender 3 for my lfs to sell, @Projects with Sam has a number of them for his business: parlaquatics.
as far as designs, thingiverse and printables have quite a few designs that can get you started. drawing your own will take some skill fusion 360 (making things with lines and functions on those 2d objects) is what I use, tinkercad (building things with 3d objects intersecting) is web based and simple enough for most things. there are other programs out there that aren't made by autodesk. There are also videos on line for most beginners to cad.

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the exact position as Lps lover. I don’t know a thing about printing but would love to be able to design and make some cool parts for my tank. What is the learning curve? keep in mind that I’m not that computer savvy like you young guys are. How long to learn some basic skills? Would I need to spend about 3K for a good printer that I can grow into and keep for a while?
Biggest cost barriers are probably going to be determined by what filament you plan to use. PLA is good for deskcluter prints as I call them. PETG works fairly well for anything you may want to put in the aquarium. Both those materials are easy to print with but pretty low strength. If you want to step up to Nylonx or ABS filament then you are going to need to enclose and vent your printer. Depending on the printer this can add 200-800 to the cost. You can go nuts on upgrades if you wanted to do true 3D printing, (all commercially available printers are 2.5D) but you can get a pretty good machine, upgrade the hothead, a few spools, and pick up a few nozzles for under $800. I usually machine my parts just because it’s quicker but the printer below can be put together for under a grand.

As for learning curve it’s really dependent on what tolerances you need. If you are +/- 0.1” then it’s not hard at all. If you are going for 0.002” then be prepared for a learning curve.

Attachments

• IMG_2323.jpeg
    IMG_2323.jpeg
    326 KB · Views: 26
OP
OP
Lps_lover12

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Biggest cost barriers are probably going to be determined by what filament you plan to use. PLA is good for deskcluter prints as I call them. PETG works fairly well for anything you may want to put in the aquarium. Both those materials are easy to print with but pretty low strength. If you want to step up to Nylonx or ABS filament then you are going to need to enclose and vent your printer. Depending on the printer this can add 200-800 to the cost. You can go nuts on upgrades if you wanted to do true 3D printing, (all commercially available printers are 2.5D) but you can get a pretty good machine, upgrade the hothead, a few spools, and pick up a few nozzles for under $800. I usually machine my parts just because it’s quicker but the printer below can be put together for under a grand.

As for learning curve it’s really dependent on what tolerances you need. If you are +/- 0.1” then it’s not hard at all. If you are going for 0.002” then be prepared for a learning curve.
Thank you! Lots of info here that helps me out for sure. I appreciate it

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.5%
Back