My low tech peninsula 55 gallon adventure

ElementReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone! I started this hobby one year ago now, with a 55 gallon that I got as a gift. Hadn’t had an aquarium since I was a kid, so every step has been a learning process.

We decided to set it up as a peninsula / room divider where it gets lots of attention. We used our old entertainment center cabinet as the stand. Originally it was on a Fluval canister that sat inside one of the cabinets.

Fast forward a year (and lots of lessons haha) and I’ve got it on a combo Seachem Tidal HOB and an AquaticLife internal skimmer. Both undersized but they fit in the narrow 11” opening on a 55 gallon aquarium. I have tried to treat this whole experience as a series of lessons, adaptations and experiments. Lots of frustration, but also lots of “this is the coolest thing ever.”

It is stable (actually runs very low nutrients) and supports LPS and a rainbow BTA. Next on the list is easy SPS.

Stock:
Ocellaris female (murderer)
Purple Firefish
Lawnmower B
3X PJ Cardinals
Melanarus Wrasse
Foxface Lo

E212AB3F-26A0-4D1E-AFE6-1084B8E14F08.jpeg

OP
OP
ElementReefer

ElementReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sick build! Looks clean. Getting that hob filter and skinner underneatb into a sump will complete the look. Corals seem super happy!
Unfortunately the 55 is tempered glass, and the cabinet won’t hold a sump without a lot of modification. This is as good as she gets, the next one will be a pro tank.

OP
OP
ElementReefer

ElementReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to suggest a canopy (those darned fish like to splash!)
Ahh yes, the canopy. Had to hold the lights up somehow in the middle of a room and with a rim too thick for mounting arm brackets. It also serves as a light shield / shade when one is laying on the couch below.

Alas, it too is low tech. You gotta lift the whole thing up and off when you need to get down into the tank for maintenance.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 51.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 6 19.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 8 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 3.2%
Back