Looking to get into Clown breeding

The_ReefB0y_FOX24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to get into breeding and I was wondering if anyone had tips. Also I need help choosing a mate for my Wyoming White Clown to get the coolest offspring.

OP
OP
The_ReefB0y_FOX24

The_ReefB0y_FOX24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Clown *An old photo*
Photo on 8-20-22 at 1.59 PM.jpg

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never bred clowns myself, but here's the advice that I've gathered from the forum while looking into clownfish breeding:
As I understand it, the main things are proper feeding (probably several times a day) and making sure there's nothing stressing the fish out. From there, you pretty much leave them alone and they spawn.

I don't know what you're feeding, but from what I've seen with others, I'd recommend trying LRS Fertility Frenzy, black worms, and NLS or TDO pellets (Otohime is a proven brand too, but it seems to have fallen out of favor somewhat in recent months/years) for the food. Adding enriched Rotifers and pods/BBS wouldn't hurt either - and you'll need to culture the rots for the baby clowns anyway. Fresh clams are pretty much always a good idea too. That said, the feeding doesn't have to be overly complex or expensive (Paul B fed clams and blackworms and had spawning), the above is just what I've seen work for a large number of people.

Beyond that, I've heard the following tips from at least one breeder (no guarantees these would work for/help you, but it's what I've heard from a couple of confirmed breeders): clowns like dirtier water, a 14 hour light period, slightly lower salinity (1.020), and a higher temp (80-82F).
Some things that I've heard which you might want to be aware of:
- Any changes to the clowns' environment can cause them to stop spawning for a while (I've heard this can potentially last for months, but it seems to generally be a much shorter timeframe than that).
- Clownfish are apparently "racist" sometimes against clownfish of different colors than them, so it may be harder to pair them/deal with aggression between them if your broodstock (breeding) clowns are different colors.

That's what I've heard - I hope it helps. Good luck!

OP
OP
The_ReefB0y_FOX24

The_ReefB0y_FOX24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never bred clowns myself, but here's the advice that I've gathered from the forum while looking into clownfish breeding:

Some things that I've heard which you might want to be aware of:
- Any changes to the clowns' environment can cause them to stop spawning for a while (I've heard this can potentially last for months, but it seems to generally be a much shorter timeframe than that).
- Clownfish are apparently "racist" sometimes against clownfish of different colors than them, so it may be harder to pair them/deal with aggression between them if your broodstock (breeding) clowns are different colors.

That's what I've heard - I hope it helps. Good luck!
Thank you for the tips!

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a good book. You can get the kindle/app version for $9

"Clownfishes: A Guide to Their Captive Care, Breeding & Natural History" by Joyce Wilkerson

Another is "The Complete Illustrated Breeder's Guide to Marine Aquarium Fishes" by Maththew Wittenrich (used or hardcover is cheaper then kindle)

Pete Luna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Get a smaller, it takes awhile, wont happen over night. Get a smaller one than her see how the react to each other. Get them to not want to kill each other when they are near one another thats step one

Pete Luna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
wrong advice, a single clownfish will become female
I stand corrected, dug a little deeper, and melbournedan you are correct, a single clown raise alone will become female. Even without the aggression that normally triggers the change. Must be that natural female internal aggression

Frank SM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have bred cinnamon, clarkii, maroon, ocellaris, and skunk clowns in the past. I agree with @Tamberav. Get Wilkerson's book. I had someone tell me recently that the information was outdated but I'm not sure I agree, perhaps small sections. It is still a valuable resource. Read the book, read these forums with the understanding that not everything you read will work for you, reread the book. If you find a mate for your clown, it is likely to take some time for them to start spawning so you will have plenty of time to read the book/forums and ask questions.

Good luck!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 118 58.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.5%
Back