Breeding sea urchin

starfishguy869

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, does anyone know the procedure for breeding tuxedo and pincushion urchins? I want to use the KCL method, where 0.5 ml of 0.5M potassium chloride is injected into each side of the urchin. Then, the eggs and sperm are collected and the eggs are fertilized. I have only seen it done with variegated and rock boring urchins, and I am wondering if anyone else has done this.

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know with tuxedos my local coral wholesaler has had success with them broadcast spawning in an aquarium setting. They will pretty regularly broadcast spawn in the aquarium when happy

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, does anyone know the procedure for breeding tuxedo and pincushion urchins? I want to use the KCL method, where 0.5 ml of 0.5M potassium chloride is injected into each side of the urchin. Then, the eggs and sperm are collected and the eggs are fertilized. I have only seen it done with variegated and rock boring urchins, and I am wondering if anyone else has done this.
I know temperature shock has also been used with at least tuxedo urchins. Are you looking for specifics on larval rearing, or just for others' experience with using KCL to induce spawning?

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 66 75.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 6.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back