Looking to purchase new test kits! Advice needed!

reefofthenorth

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Working to start my first mixed reef in my 45 gallon JBJ AIO. I am torn between ordering the red sea reef starter kit (alk, mg, cal) and a red sea phosphate kit (I currently use salfert for nitrates) or purchasing the Hanna alk, cal, and phosphorous checkers. I am willing to spend the extra cash so that it will be worth it in the long run but will magnesium be something important that I should be testing for? Should I save some cash by buying the red sea kits or should I spring for the Hanna checkers?

William Robinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO I have used Red Sea, Salifert, Hanna and of course API.... After chasing numbers duplicating test I have finally just gone completely to Salifert. Between Salifert and Red Sea the numbers were more consistent even if split a little. I could duplicate the results closely. Hannah would bounce on me more than the two previously mentioned. One test that annoys me more than any on ALL of the kit brands is the magnesium. I can always repeat the number within 50 points and am well within the safe range but still... Annoying.

I ended up choosing Salifert over Red Sea for 1 reason when it came down to it. The salifert test is easier to read. Reading how much is remaining is easier than doing math to figure out how much has been used.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use different brands.Hanna for alkalinity, ULR phosphorous, and HR copper. Salifert for magnesium, calcium, and nitrates.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 65 30.8%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 59 28.0%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 42 19.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 43 20.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back