Looks like rice on fin

Socaldayz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please help. I got a clownfish on Sunday and the other day noticed some white on one of his fins. At first I thought it was just him and his coloring but looking further, it’s definitely not.
I’m new to this and he is my first saltwater fish.
The video is kind of long but I hope you can see it.

Attachments

• IMG_5283.MOV
    96.7 MB

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Its one of two things- Looks like lympho but pectoral fins are generally not the first location and can also be sand which they often pick up.
If you find it suddenly gone in the next 48 hrs- sand
If not, lympho is viral and with GOOD water quality and diet (not flake and pellets), it will lose the nodule

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on it being Lymphocystis. It will go away on its own in 3 to 8 weeks (but it may spread and get worse before that).

The old joke is: say "abracadabra" to the fish every morning at 9am (or pick any other treatment) and it will go away....in 3 to 8 weeks (grin).

It is caused by a virus and like the common cold, it just needs to run its course. Secondary bacterial infections of the nodules are rare.

That said, this is a new fish and it could develop other problems, so keep an eye on it. Watch for rapid breathing, smaller white spots, lack of appeitite, etc.

Jay

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 61 39.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 17 11.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 44 28.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 29 19.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back