Loose Acan Polyp

Moonfruit777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The acan I just got has a loose polyp, connected to the skeleton by barely a tiny bit of flesh :0
I have never seen anything like it!

It seems fully open but it looks very alarming - it was all closed when i got it but when it opened up it flipped to the side and revealed the situation. Judging by the algae under the polyp I think the polyp is deatatched for a while :(

Can i use some superglue to attach it back to the skeleton?
Anything else I can do to help it attach?

Really confused by it to be honest :D

acan what the heck.jpg

NewGoby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bring it back to the store, if you try to glue it, it'll produce a slime which will prevent it from being glued to it's base

Chuk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It'll blow off and die. If the others look ok just keep your parameters stable and they will bud out new heads in a couple of months. I had this happen to one of mine before when I moved it because it was being overgrown by another colony. there's no way reattach it.

NewGoby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's death is basically assured, if you do have something like a frag tank with near zero flow, you could try to put only that acan on a new plug & putting it in a different tank with near 0 flow, then hope it springs new buds before it either blows off, or dies.. although I doubt that it'd work it is something that might be worth a shot?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Not salvageable. I would leave it and feed others on plug and monitor their health. Once healthy, you can cut the dead skeleton off or as i do, just ignore it.

OP
OP
Moonfruit777

Moonfruit777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The polyp just disappeared overnight :(

Thank you all for the comments; I was hoping there was something to save it.

OK honestly I would not care too much about a new coral that dies. It for sure is sad - but it happens - it's an unfortunate part of the hobby you have to be fine with.
But there is more to the story:

My granny bought this tripple acan frag for me as a suprise. She never did that because she does not have a lot of money and the frag was not cheap either!
So everytime she comes over, she wants to know how HER CORAL is doing >.<

Dangit this hobby is driving me insane!
I'm looking to find one of those red and purple candy cane acans online to get it shipped asap LOL

NewGoby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

OK honestly I would not care too much about a new coral that dies. It for sure is sad - but it happens - it's an unfortunate part of the hobby you have to be fine with.

My granny bought this tripple acan frag for me as a suprise. She never did that because she does not have a lot of money and the frag was not cheap either!

I'm looking to find one of those red and purple candy cane acans online to get it shipped asap LOL

Aww man, I'm really sorry to hear that, I hope that the other 2 will do amazingly well, good luck!

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

Try AquaSD or Liveaquaria.com

Fishguru

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ive had this happen with some similar lps, and believe it or not they survive and regrew the calcium base behind my rock. It seemed the lighting and current were too much

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
ive had this happen with some similar lps, and believe it or not they survive and regrew the calcium base behind my rock. It seemed the lighting and current were too much

Ive gotten lucky with a detached polyp from hammer that clinged to a rock and has grown to golf ball size so far

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 51 40.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 27.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back