Loose sump corner silicone seal

GlassJoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone - wife and I are still new to reefing (tank is 8 months old - Red Sea 350) so apologies for the basic question. I was cleaning our sump just now and noticed our turbo snail hanging off a very loose silicone corner seal. First I'm seeing of this. The actual seal of the sump is just find so no leaking or anything like that but obviously it is much less protected now than before. Would appreciate some guidance on how to handle this. Obviously the seal needs to be replaced. Is this just a matter of draining the sump and placing some new silicone ourselves? If so do you have any suggestions for the type of silicone to use? How nervous should we be between now and whenever we get the silicone replaced? Thanks in advance for your help.

IMG_0223.jpeg

IMG_0227.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi everyone - wife and I are still new to reefing (tank is 8 months old - Red Sea 350) so apologies for the basic question. I was cleaning our sump just now and noticed our turbo snail hanging off a very loose silicone corner seal. First I'm seeing of this. The actual seal of the sump is just find so no leaking or anything like that but obviously it is much less protected now than before. Would appreciate some guidance on how to handle this. Obviously the seal needs to be replaced. Is this just a matter of draining the sump and placing some new silicone ourselves? If so do you have any suggestions for the type of silicone to use? How nervous should we be between now and whenever we get the silicone replaced? Thanks in advance for your help.

IMG_0223.jpeg

IMG_0227.jpeg
It’s likely sealed but as an insurance, you can siphon out water from tank until it stops overflowing and salvage
Then empty sump and add aquarium sealant allowing it to dry for at least 8 hours
Leave power heads running in the tank obviously

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back