Loosing entire collection

Rick j

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any help and ID of these gelatinous bubble things kinda like jello but softer and if you pop it looks like water coming out. 4-5 weeks ago Po4 bottomed out Dino showed up raised po4 up to 0.06 over 5-6 days monitored all parameters daily no alk spike no nutrient spike started loosing sps burned tips STN and Rtn over the last 4 weeks lost 75% of my acros icp was pretty good other iodine 0 and iron a little high rodi showed small amount of copper but I ? Because tank icp showed 0 copper tanks been stable but I’ve checked very closely for bugs /flat worms dipped several half dead pieces in Bayer and coral rx then strained thru filter and no pests I’m concerned it’s bacterial and if so do I need to tear this setup down and start over

6AE0C8B0-0352-4F9F-A33D-24CD1AED68B1.jpeg

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a white light photo if you can. Blues wash everything out.

sculpin01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brown goo and dying Acroporas makes me think Ostreopsis. Scrape some of the brown stuff onto a microscope slide and take a look. If you see lentil-shaped organisms spinning like a top, you have Ostreopsis. Treatment would be running large volumes of carbon and strong UV for ~2 weeks. Also, shut down any amino dosing you are doing as it feeds the infection.

If you don't have that, dip your corals and see what comes off of them. Black bugs have been a common ailment of late with similar symptoms.

OP
OP
R

Rick j

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brown goo and dying Acroporas makes me think Ostreopsis. Scrape some of the brown stuff onto a microscope slide and take a look. If you see lentil-shaped organisms spinning like a top, you have Ostreopsis. Treatment would be running large volumes of carbon and strong UV for ~2 weeks. Also, shut down any amino dosing you are doing as it feeds the infection.

If you don't have that, dip your corals and see what comes off of them. Black bugs have been a common ailment of late with similar symptoms.
thanks I will check today I took a few half dead colonies and soaked in straight Bayer and then coral rx and strained the solution didn’t find bugs but will check the mystery goo

OP
OP
R

Rick j

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So after looking thru microscope hard to tell by the shape but definitely some very active erratic like stuff spinning and darting back and fourth where as other stuff was moving but not nearly as fast erratic so is spinning a sign of this

JayA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ostreopsis spins in a circular motion around it's narrow end. kind of like a clock arm if you will. did you have that kind of motion?

OP
OP
R

Rick j

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ostreopsis spins in a circular motion around it's narrow end. kind of like a clock arm if you will. did you have that kind of motion?
Managed to get this picture pretty much confirmed it what’s your thoughts

Attachments

• BE519868-2946-4909-8B61-340539874AE2.jpeg
    BE519868-2946-4909-8B61-340539874AE2.jpeg
    152.8 KB · Views: 68
OP
OP
R

Rick j

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Managed to get this picture thru the microscope

OP
OP
R

Rick j

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks I will check today I took a few half dead colonies and soaked in straight Bayer and then coral rx and strained the solution didn’t find bugs but will check the mystery goo
Managed to get this video very shaky in the beginning but gets better

Attachments

• IMG_1054.MOV
    52.8 MB
OP
OP
R

Rick j

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's Ostreopsis. Hopefully you set up UV and ran carbon. That's the only effective fix.
Thanks had UV running full time and ran carbon but to late it wiped me out in less then 3weeks over 100 acro I’m gonna tear the system and sterilize and start over

Back