Loosing zoas..... help?

tehSAC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So over the past month I’ve lost a few frags of zoas/palys and in the process of loosing more. I have no idea what’s going on and it’s frustrating the hell out of me. I do not see any bite marks or any thing on them when lights go out. Just this brown algae/fungus looking stuff.

Should I peroxide dip? Something else? I don’t want to loose my rainbow hornets or fruit loops so any help would be greatly appreciated.

E559937B-19C8-46C1-A7EB-8AA65C495F25.jpeg

OP
OP
tehSAC

tehSAC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Temp 78.4
Salinity 1.026
PH 8.0
Nitrate 10 PPM
CA 450
Ak 8.6
Mg 1470

I feed pretty heavy a couple times a week. Up until a month ago all my zoas looked great. Haven’t changed anything other than some placement with new rock work.

Everything else looks happy and healthy.

REEFer86

Loving the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So over the past month I’ve lost a few frags of zoas/palys and in the process of loosing more. I have no idea what’s going on and it’s frustrating the hell out of me. I do not see any bite marks or any thing on them when lights go out. Just this brown algae/fungus looking stuff.

Should I peroxide dip? Something else? I don’t want to loose my rainbow hornets or fruit loops so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Maybe it being in the sand is causing this? Cyano?

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the tank age?
What lighting do you use?
How is the flow; just the return or are you using power heads for additional circulation?

OP
OP
tehSAC

tehSAC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the tank age?
What lighting do you use?
How is the flow; just the return or are you using power heads for additional circulation?

Tank was established Feb 2017, half of old rock was removed and replaced two weeks ago.
Lighting was just upgraded last week from a Kessil A80 to an AI Prime HD.
Flow is good. Upgraded return pump to create more GPH flow. Using stock return nozzle. No additional powerheads.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank was established Feb 2017, half of old rock was removed and replaced two weeks ago.
Lighting was just upgraded last week from a Kessil A80 to an AI Prime HD.
Flow is good. Upgraded return pump to create more GPH flow. Using stock return nozzle. No additional powerheads.

It sounds like you've got things pretty tight.

When you removed the old rock and replaced it, what did you replace it with? Was it dry rock? If so, dry rick needs to be cycled. Placed directly into the tank, it can really put your water parameters into a tailspin.

OP
OP
tehSAC

tehSAC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds like you've got things pretty tight.

When you removed the old rock and replaced it, what did you replace it with? Was it dry rock? If so, dry rick needs to be cycled. Placed directly into the tank, it can really put your water parameters into a tailspin.

It was cycled live rock. I started the tank with dry rock, and knew it took time to cure. Thats why i went with a piece of LR.

OP
OP
tehSAC

tehSAC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you brush it off? Maybe the bacteria etc that was on the live rock you had in there threw off your water column? Do they not open? Hope this turns around.

I'm going to try it this evening. I was having this issue with other frags before changing out the rockwork. I lost them before the switch was made.

They do not open at all.

REEFer86

Loving the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to try it this evening. I was having this issue with other frags before changing out the rockwork. I lost them before the switch was made.

They do not open at all.
Maybe you send a water test to make sure its not your equipment or maybe your lights need to be changed? Just throwing things out there from what I’ve read.

Aquabuddy8

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like cyano could be smothering your zoas. Keep your phosphates low, not to zero, but control it with light feedings, and gfo will help a lot too.Also how’s your circulation? Zoas love a lot of flow, I have 3 gyres running in my 125g, increased flow also prevents cyano from blanketing everything

OP
OP
tehSAC

tehSAC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like cyano could be smothering your zoas. Keep your phosphates low, not to zero, but control it with light feedings, and gfo will help a lot too.Also how’s your circulation? Zoas love a lot of flow, I have 3 gyres running in my 125g, increased flow also prevents cyano from blanketing everything

Gotcha. I’m going to see if I can save them tonight. I’ve never had an issue with flow in the 2.5 years of owning this tank.

I’m planning another W/C tonight and moving the frags off the sand bed. My other zoas look fine so it might not be great having them on the sandbed.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Have you thought about your lights? Looks very blue and dim in that picture.
It could be so many things... hard to tell by the picture.
If the system is mature and there is no pests, check your water parameters, specially alkalinity. If everything else is within normal numbers I would learn more about your lights. Those zoas look like when they fall behind rocks and have not enough light available.
Good luck!

OP
OP
tehSAC

tehSAC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you thought about your lights? Looks very blue and dim in that picture.
It could be so many things... hard to tell by the picture.
If the system is mature and there is no pests, check your water parameters, specially alkalinity. If everything else is within normal numbers I would learn more about your lights. Those zoas look like when they fall behind rocks and have not enough light available.
Good luck!

Thanks

Yes lights were taken into consideration but never had an issue with them not getting enough light. I think the issue was a small case of cyano. They have yet to open still but I have them off the sand bed and on a frag rack for now.

tankstudy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd recommend running a nitrite and ammonia test. This way we can rule this out.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Looks like a layer of Cyano which is irritating the daylights out of them.
Take note of your phosphate levels. Are you using RO or tap water?
Lower whites to 20-25% and take a turkey baster and blow this stuff off cyano. If theyre not happy in 12-24 hours, you may dip them in Hydrogen Peroxide a nd also look under plug for any bugs and return to tank. 1-2X per week add a few drop of Lugols Iodine and I believe you are going to have Happy zoas again.
for cyano- product : ChemiClean works well to rid of it

1566225673839.png

OP
OP
tehSAC

tehSAC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd recommend running a nitrite and ammonia test. This way we can rule this out.

I am planning on doing that tonight. Spent 2 hours testing and cleaning yesterday and was just burnt out.

Looks like a layer of Cyano which is irritating the daylights out of them.
Take note of your phosphate levels. Are you using RO or tap water?
Lower whites to 20-25% and take a turkey baster and blow this stuff off cyano. If theyre not happy in 12-24 hours, you may dip them in Hydrogen Peroxide a nd also look under plug for any bugs and return to tank. 1-2X per week add a few drop of Lugols Iodine and I believe you are going to have Happy zoas again.
for cyano- product : ChemiClean works well to rid of it

I use distilled water. This has been used since I started the tank in Feb of 2017. First time I have ever had these issues, but it was also the first time I ever kept zoas on the sandbed.

I'm seeing some life back in them, but also okay with them melting away. Just chalking it up to something that happens. Everything else is thriving, so it is what it is. :shrug:

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 65 37.1%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back