Losing my favorite fish

JPR

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I type this my favorite fish Benny the lawn mower blenny appears to be dying. I've been dosing vibrant for a couple of months knowing that it kills algae. But he eats everything I put in there. I feed them about 1/2 tspn of pellets on somedays and frozen food on others. He eats them both. Yesterday he was just fine. Now, I found him curled up under a rock. He's currently isolated with food. But he's just not moving and seems to be just holding on. Now what? The rest of the fish are 4 clowns, flame angel, and one other that I don't recall the name.

F i s h y

2nd In Command.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry to hear about your fav fish. I have no experience with vibrant. Is it possible that the chemical that kills the algae accumulates in it and your blenny ate the algae with a high concentration? Hopefully someone else will have a better idea.

Arlen nemeth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I type this my favorite fish Benny the lawn mower blenny appears to be dying. I've been dosing vibrant for a couple of months knowing that it kills algae. But he eats everything I put in there. I feed them about 1/2 tspn of pellets on somedays and frozen food on others. He eats them both. Yesterday he was just fine. Now, I found him curled up under a rock. He's currently isolated with food. But he's just not moving and seems to be just holding on. Now what? The rest of the fish are 4 clowns, flame angel, and one other that I don't recall the name.
Thats what most fish do when there are about to die i would say farewell and maybe get a new one

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evening,

Sorry about your little guy. I do not believe it is the Vibrant. Have you noticed any odd behavior recently from him or change in appearance or breathing? Anything new added to tank, and just to be sure have you run thru you water parameters?

Is he in the DT or a QT, I wasn’t sure.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually had the exact same issue when dosing Vibrant. I assumed it was due to a diet imbalance since he consumed a ton of algae prior to using Vibrant.....even though he was still eating Mysis and pellets.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back