Losing My Fish to Velvet... Please HELP

bizzybeas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep us updated as I have velvet, a midas blenny and I am moving my 5 fish tonight. :(

OP
OP
SaltyDawgie

SaltyDawgie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am on day 10 of Copper. Keeping the Copper consistently in at therapeutic level has been some work, but from the advice I have received, it is key to keeping the fish from becoming reinfected. I am using Cupramine and an API Copper test kit. Per my LFS, since I am not using a Seachem test kit along with the Cupramine, I need to keep my Copper level between 1.0 - 2.0 (and closer to 2.0 than 1.0) on the API test kit. This part was initially confusing because the Cupramine instructions recommend differently. Please do not take my advice though as I am a newbie and am learning as I go. This Velvet outbreak is a first and hopefully a last for me.

I started with 11 fish. 7 of them have died within 2 to 3 days, and 4 of them are hanging in there and doing well. I have not had a fish death for 8 days, so I believe I am on the right track.

I did do a fresh water dip once which I am pretty sure saved my Tomini Tang.

I am a total newbie at this and do not want to offer any advice. Everything I have done has been at the recommendations I have received here and from my LFS. If anyone who knows more than me sees something incorrect in the manner I have proceeded, please says something to help put bizzybeas on a better path.

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am on day 10 of Copper. Keeping the Copper consistently in at therapeutic level has been some work, but from the advice I have received, it is key to keeping the fish from becoming reinfected. I am using Cupramine and an API Copper test kit. Per my LFS, since I am not using a Seachem test kit along with the Cupramine, I need to keep my Copper level between 1.0 - 2.0 (and closer to 2.0 than 1.0) on the API test kit. This part was initially confusing because the Cupramine instructions recommend differently. Please do not take my advice though as I am a newbie and am learning as I go. This Velvet outbreak is a first and hopefully a last for me.

I started with 11 fish. 7 of them have died within 2 to 3 days, and 4 of them are hanging in there and doing well. I have not had a fish death for 8 days, so I believe I am on the right track.

I did do a fresh water dip once which I am pretty sure saved my Tomini Tang.

I am a total newbie at this and do not want to offer any advice. Everything I have done has been at the recommendations I have received here and from my LFS. If anyone who knows more than me sees something incorrect in the manner I have proceeded, please says something to help put bizzybeas on a better path.
I would strongly encourage you to invest in a Hana Copper Checker. It is far easier, more consistent and more accurate than either the SeaChem or API copper test kits. (There's a thread on it here.)

Velvet sucks - I had an outbreak wipe out most of my tank and it's a rough way to start in the hobby. Hopefully the worst is behind you!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 20.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 76 34.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 33.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.8%
Back