Losing my mind.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I turn of the kalkwasser. Algae scrubber is on 18hrs. Super nervous. Just feel like I had a hand on thing an I didn't. I will stop after work today for the all for reef. An Starr just dosing that over other day sound right?

Yes. I was surprise to see my local Petco Carrie’s all for reef now

The bottle has instructions, post here if you need help

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if the gravel is having a negative impact here. Maybe not providing the surface area, and biological filter, like a live sand bed would? Or some other issues as a result of it?
I would think so. I tried it once before (for lack of knowledge and experience), it was a disaster. The food slips in between the pebbles, and the clean up crew is not able to get to it. Its a nitrate factory.

The pebbles are also too large for the kind of micro organisms and bacteria's that we would have in the layers of our sand.

OP
OP
Rayreef710

Rayreef710

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think so. I tried it once before (for lack of knowledge and experience), it was a disaster. The food slips in between the pebbles, and the clean up crew is not able to get to it. Its a nitrate factory.

The pebbles are also too large for the kind of micro organisms and bacteria's that we would have in the layers of our sand.
So u think take the rock bed out an use sand

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So u think take the rock bed out an use sand
Personally I think take the pebbles out and no sandbed. It will be very messy to add it, and it will also grow algae and cause problems for the first year until it matures. I've never had a bare bottom tank, but I read and hear from others that it is easier to maintain than a tank with a sandbed.

I would do this:
-Remove the pebbles and go bare bottom tank
-Remove the algae scrubber
-Stop dosing and bring the tank back to baseline, then test and decide anew if you want/need to dose.
-Watch your tank flourish, KISS method works the best

Its just my 2 cents , good luck.

OP
OP
Rayreef710

Rayreef710

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK little update so I did when everybody suggested. I turned down my out algae scrubber eighteen hours day and I stopped dosing kalkwasser. Started dosing all for reef. Phosphate came down some .04 now an nitrate are l Slowly coming down. But in my opinion with corals like **** now, so I don't know what to do.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back