Losing my Zoas, difficult situation and need some advice

larangcon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same problem, it does look like some kind of fungus, it started the same white pinkies goo around the foot of the zoas, it killed about 3/4 of my 150 dragon eyes. I started doing water changes every other day but nothing seem to stop it until I read about vitamin C 1000 mg. This worked it stop the fungus and soon disappeared. Now my zoas are huge and almost all zoas and palys started multiplying except for the affected dragon eyes, looks normal now but I have not seen any baby pop out yet.

bct15

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dipped a couple of the frag plugs last night. Nothing of interest, got rid of a bunch of crud...couple of amphipods. I did see one unusual worm....it looks like a transparent bristle worm. It was maybe an inch long and very thin. I haven't been able to find any pictures of it looking through chucks hitchhiker guide or threads on forums. If it is a predator it doesn't appear to be a common one.

I'm still sticking to the belief that it's a fungal/bacterial issue.

It sounds like an oenid worm, predator type worm that is very fast and elusive. The only way you'll stop the infection is by treating it so you'll need to remove the zoas for treatment. I've never seen them turn black like that but I have seen the outside turn clear and they just flake apart. When you see that your best option is to throw away the frag to keep it from spreading.

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

containerman1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
look up dino algae or dinoflagellates . water changes and lights out for couple days shoukd help
good luck

OP
OP
M

mess7777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added a doser about 4 weeks ago now, just before going on vacation. It has brought my alk up to a more consistent 7.4 - 7.7.

I haven't done anything different and the color has returned to all but the eagle eye zoas. They are also looking better but seem to take longer to recover. A couple colonies that didn't open in several weeks are also showing signs of recover which is great. I am happy I didn't lose everything.

MacKrell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had same problem and lost a lot of zoas, the next time I saw them start to turn sour I used a zoa aid dip. I just followed the directions and dipped them each day. It worked for me. I'm kinda new to this r2r, just wana help and share my experiences, good luck I love my zoas and feal your pain!!

OP
OP
M

mess7777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a few peroxide dips along the way with the ones that I could get out. I had intended to start with Furan-2 since the peroxide wasn't helping.

I added a doser to the tank around the same time and brought my Alk from 6.5-7dKH up closer to 8dKH. The other thing that happened is I went on holidays and left instructions for feeding which was about double of what i normally feed the tank. When I came back things looked better, and have continued on a slow recovery. I had two zoa frags that hadn't opened in a couple months that are now starting to open and regain some color. The finally remote possibility is that I added a mandarin, and it may be controlling my pod population which some say can irritate zoas.

So I guess it's either more food, higher Alk, stability(from adding a doser), or just some unknown dumb luck.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 40 47.6%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 19 22.6%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 19 22.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 7.1%
Back