What’s happening to my Zoas?

Ian Baxter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a fairly large colony of zoas that I’ve had for a long time. Recently upgraded my tank in November. I did have a major alk swing that I noticed in mid February. But this has occurred within the last two weeks. I dipped it in Coral RX on Monday and it looked a little better, not all the way.

Sal- 1.026
Cal- 514
Mag- 1320
Alk- 7.6
PO4- .0031
Temp- 78

IMG_0724.jpeg IMG_0725.jpeg

Kade76

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a fairly large colony of zoas that I’ve had for a long time. Recently upgraded my tank in November. I did have a major alk swing that I noticed in mid February. But this has occurred within the last two weeks. I dipped it in Coral RX on Monday and it looked a little better, not all the way.

Sal- 1.026
Cal- 514
Mag- 1320
Alk- 7.6
PO4- .0031
Temp- 78

IMG_0724.jpeg IMG_0725.jpeg
I don't think it looks bad probably just annoyed I changed my flow for a bit and they stayed closed for 3 days lol.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Closed up is a sign of stress. Can be high flow, too much light, high Phosphates or lack of feeding. If using NoPox, can also upset them

OP
OP
Ian Baxter

Ian Baxter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They don’t look like they’re struggling to me, they may just be moody from changes.
Oh okay. This is what it looks like now. I just broadcast AB+, but you can still see the ones that are upset.

Attachments

• IMG_0746.jpeg
    IMG_0746.jpeg
    217.9 KB · Views: 11
OP
OP
Ian Baxter

Ian Baxter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Closed up is a sign of stress. Can be high flow, too much light, high Phosphates or lack of feeding. If using NoPox, can also upset them
Not using anything different. I have been raising my levels to start ALL for Reef, but that’s it. Did a large mag raise and Phosphates have gone up from 0-.049 (Hanna). Was worried about nitrates and phosphates being 0, so I fed reef roids. They have been like that before all of this.

Kade76

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not using anything different. I have been raising my levels to start ALL for Reef, but that’s it. Did a large mag raise and Phosphates have gone up from 0-.049 (Hanna). Was worried about nitrates and phosphates being 0, so I fed reef roids. They have been like that before all of this.
It could also be something like a hermit crab dragging its shell over that area my gsp had that happen and were very mad.

OP
OP
Ian Baxter

Ian Baxter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could also be something like a hermit crab dragging its shell over that area my gsp had that happen and were very mad.
Yeah, I have seen some hermits up there’s several days ago. My small nem used to be in there and more around, but has been out for about 2 weeks.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 13.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 96 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.6%
Back