Losing torches - help please!

beesnreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TL;DR version - LPS heavy reef, about a year old. Over the past month I've lost 5 torches. Growing and happy one day, melting away the next.

Longer version...

Over the past month, I've lost 5 of my torches including my most favorite super-bright Indo gold. The Indo had been in the tank for several months and had grown from splitting into 2 heads to splitting into 4 heads. Here it is in its glory (it's the almost all gold one in the back):

Parameters through all this have consistently been like this:

pH: 8.2
Salinity: 1.024
Alk: 7.8 - 8.1
Calcium: 490-510 (has been on the higher side pretty much since I added corals after cycling the tank)
Magnesium: 1200 - 1230 (though tested at its lowest ever today at 1175)
Nitrates: 5-10
Phosphate: 0.01 - 0.03

I do a 10% water change every week, feed the fish twice daily, and feed the corals directly (a mix of Benepet Benereef and Brightwell Aminos) twice a week.

Of note - a couple of weeks ago we had a heat spike in the tank. Long story but the temp sensor for the heater was out of the water for 1-2 hours and the tank went from 78ish degrees to 87 degrees in about 2 hours' time. The Indo gold started to melt about a week later and another Indo variant started losing one of its 3 heads yesterday.

That said, at least 2 of the torches I've lost were prior to the heat spike and one was a purple torch I added a few days after the heat spike (only lasted 3-4 days).

Everything else in the tank, including a chunk of digitata I have to test out SPS seem fine and haven't had any major issues before or since the heat spike.

For interventions, the first two losses died off rather quickly so I didn't do anything. My favorite Indo, though, I did try to save. Noticed the one head started to die off right quick and did a 45 minute dip in tank water combining Seachem iodine, Brightwell Aminos, and Brightwell Restor. Took it to the LFS as well to see about cutting off the effected head but it wasn't completely split off yet so we decided to try and baby it and wait. The next morning it looked like this:

The remaining "healthy" tissue melted away about an hour after I took this video.

Today, the gold and purple torch from the first video started to show signs of one head beginning to die. It's another one that came to me as a 2-header (splitting into 3) and is now in the process of splitting into 4. The head in the front, which is completely split off, seems to be trying to die.

I'm a huge fan of torches and really want to replace my losses but now I'm a bit scared.

Thoughts? Ideas? Advice?

Attachments

• IMG-2780.mov
    15.8 MB
  • IMG-3639.MOV
    7.2 MB

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wild guess, Try Cipro

Read about it hear:

Here: Chewy has cipro

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No idea, if I had to guess it would be some bacterial issue that is slowly spreading from torch to torch , do you have a UV installed ?

OP
OP
beesnreefs

beesnreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wild guess, Try Cipro

Read about it hear:

Thanks for sharing this. Really like what Eli is doing at AquaBiomics. Might have to try the cipro...seems like his method is minimal risk but potentially high benefit

OP
OP
beesnreefs

beesnreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No idea, if I had to guess it would be some bacterial issue that is slowly spreading from torch to torch , do you have a UV installed ?
I do have a UV installed. Agree it seems like something spreading from torch to torch. Thinking about trying the AquaBiomics cipro method per the first comment

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wild guess, Try Cipro

Read about it hear:

I 2nd cipro...save a buddies torch tank.

500mg pill in 80g

You can also dip in 1 gallon with 250mg pill for a bath.

Dissolve the pills completely.

The only negative I have heard to be careful for is killing off beneficial bacteria.

Some say add it back with bottle stuff and other just don't worry about it.

Good luck amd I hope it helps!

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My torches seem to do much better with MG at 1400-1450ppm yet, although 1200, which is low IMM, this on its own would not melt them.

I’d run a higher MG and Salinity at 1.026.

The video seem to show some “red” indicating maybe some Cyano, maybe just the pic though.

Last edited:
OP
OP
beesnreefs

beesnreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My torches seem to do much better with MG at 1400-1450ppm yet, although 1200, which is low IMM, this on its own would not melt them.

I’d run a higher MG and Salinity at 1.026.

The video seem to show some “red” indicating maybe some Cyano, maybe just the pic though.
I don't think I have cyano....had an Aquabiomics test run about a month ago and it showed zero cyano.

pigmo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you named your problem already, it was the temp spike. all the rest are symptoms. nothing to do but keep it stable and ride it out.

you can dip and treat, but if it died inside there's no recovery. impossible to tell, so just try your best. they are prone to alk spikes and dips too... they seem less hardy than sps in our system ;Chicken ;Rage

our kh director failed recently and we lost about 8 various heads over the next 3 weeks. our alk spiked from mid sevens to past 10, in 2 days. can't blame ghl tho, we test/adjust hourly and that unit probably ran 28,000 tests prior to failing.

Last edited:

ggNoRe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope you don't mind if I derail the thread a bit. I went on Chewy.com to buy cipro just to have on hand as a preventative measure and it says I need a prescription to order it. Is there a way I can get it without in the US?

Good luck saving your torches I really hope it works out.

OP
OP
beesnreefs

beesnreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did cipro work? Just lost one to BJD, trying to make sure all my torches are not affected
Yes, it worked incredibly well!

I actually submitted tests to AquaBiomics both before and after treatment and confirmed there were high levels of arcobacter present prior to treatment. After treatment, it was gone. My microbiome was all jacked up too but returned to almost normal after treament.

Torches stopped dying. Haven't had a problem since.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 84 87.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back