Loss Electricity for 7 days HELP!

Scarlette

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Guys.

So My house lost electricity for 7 days so after 2 days of waiting I transported my fish to a local fish store, wasn't able to get my clean up crew which is now dead. SO my question is this tank going to re-cycle? It was 50 degrees for 5 days straight with no oxygen or anything. Yes yes we bought a generator after this. What do I need to do to get my fish back home safe?

Thanks

buckroe07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure there will be some sort of cycle you will have to go through again. It shouldn't take as long but I would definitely test from ammonia, nitrite, nitrate again. I would take out as many of the dead clean up crew you can and add more bacteria like Dr. tim's. Sorry but at least you're fish! :)

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Hi Guys.

So My house lost electricity for 7 days so after 2 days of waiting I transported my fish to a local fish store, wasn't able to get my clean up crew which is now dead. SO my question is this tank going to re-cycle? It was 50 degrees for 5 days straight with no oxygen or anything. Yes yes we bought a generator after this. What do I need to do to get my fish back home safe?

Thanks
I went through the same think and its very discouraging, actually quit the hobby for quite some time after that. I would test for a couple days before adding them to make sure theres no ammonia.

Good question lol. Stuff died so ammonia can spike yea, but i dont think its something like having to recycle your tank again. Itll prob take like 5 days to a week at most to come back. Can reduce some days with water changes, Run some carbon or wet skimming if you run a skimmer.

buckroe07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Meant to say, at least you saved your fish. Sheesh what kind of auto correct does my phone have?o_O

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would approach this as a cure / cycle problem. You're going to see a spike in nitrates and phosphates as all the dead stuff decays, and at the same time a cycle while new, alive bacteria begin to grow. I'd monitor Nitrates and Phosphates, and do occasional water changes until they show signs of declining. And for the cycle, I'd be testing for ammonia, waiting for that to go to zero.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, protracted power loss is a major problem. Whether your tank will re-cycle depends a bit on how much died. Bacteria will survive, so depends a bit on how much they have to process on whether you will see ammonia or not. A genny really is required equipment once you get to a serious livestock level. My power-loss plan is almost perfect, unless I'm out of town, then the tank is borked.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would approach this as a cure / cycle problem. You're going to see a spike in nitrates and phosphates as all the dead stuff decays, and at the same time a cycle while new, alive bacteria begin to grow. I'd monitor Nitrates and Phosphates, and do occasional water changes until they show signs of declining. And for the cycle, I'd be testing for ammonia, waiting for that to go to zero.
Yeah, protracted power loss is a major problem. Whether your tank will re-cycle depends a bit on how much died. Bacteria will survive, so depends a bit on how much they have to process on whether you will see ammonia or not. A genny really is required equipment once you get to a serious livestock level. My power-loss plan is almost perfect, unless I'm out of town, then the tank is borked.

+1. Get it running again and see what happens. Get ready for a big water change. Don't turn on the light, it will just grow algae really fast. If you have a fuge run that. After the big water change maybe consider Probidio startup or Bio digest.
The cold was actually probably a good thing. Better than heat.

And Im so sorry to hear about the tank..

OP
OP
Scarlette

Scarlette

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Is this zoa dead?

IMG_0595.JPG

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd leave them.

Some corals are pretty resilient, and could bounce back. The second reason is it's toxins....dead or alive, if you start to play with them they'll likely release their toxins. If you still wish to take them out, wear gloves.

buckroe07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are definitely hurt. Looks just like mine when my system crashed. I did pull them out looking just like those and put them in a tank I set up to try and rescue what corals I could and a few managed to come back around.:)

Joshua Hurst

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not completely... hed have some better odds if you gave him a dip. the part that looks like its spread on the rocks looks dead to me, but corals are pretty amazing at looking dead sometimes so who knows

Thanks! Is this zoa dead?

IMG_0595.JPG

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 30.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back