Lost 2 Fish

Josh Hobgood

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone. Hope all is well on the other side of the internet. I have lost a cardinal fish and a clown fish within the last month. I set the tank up December 2, 2018. It is a 120 Gallon dual overflow standard reef tank. I have a marine depot sump by trigger systems. I run two cobalt 300w heaters, Vectra return pump, 2 mp40's, 2 radion xr30 pros, Tunze ATO, and a skimmer. I lost a clownfish today. I cannot find his body. I've looked on floors, in overflows, and in sump the best I know how. My current levels are as follows:

Ammonia = 0 (Red Sea)
Nitrite = 0 (Red Sea)
Nitrate = 0-2 (Red Sea)
Phosphate = 0 (Hanna Checker)
PH = 8 (Red Sea)
Magnesium = 1480 (Red Sea)
Calcium = 400 (Red Sea)
Alkalinity = 9.6 (Hanna Checker)
Salinity = 1.025 (Bulk Reef Supply Refractometer) (I calibrate every time)
Temperature = 78

I introduced the 2 clown fish first into the tank. Then I tried a yellow tang and purple tang together about a month later. The yellow tang did not make it. After that I added 2 cardinal fish. One day the cardinal fish went missing. I never found his body. 2 days ago I added a lawnmower blenny. This morning upon waking up I fed the fish like normal and everyone ate. I returned home from work at 3:00 and was feeding the tank when I noticed I only saw one of the clown fish. Do you all have any thoughts on what might have happened to him? On researching I found some articles on stray voltage. Is this a possibility? Thank you for your help! Cheers!

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about the losses. Stray voltage could cause issues but i Am prone to think illness.

Anything noticed about fish? Flashing, scratching, spots, anything else maybe?

Did fish go thru quarantine or other process before put in tank

Swoody

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While it’s possible for your tangs to kill those fish...(although unlikely if you have not witnessed aggressive behavior) I would guess you have a very full clean up crew .... I lost a relatively large plecostomos in a fresh water tank with no clean up crew and I was absolutely thrown that I could not find this fish..... I have also “lost” fish in a tank only to have them appear after a couple weeks. That would be great... if they are dead and not carpet surfers, why may be tough to figure out. All other fish doing fine??

cflores

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like your parameters are fine. Could be a number of things, given how fast you lost them I would say brook, or velvet. Hard to tell with a body. Do you have a clean up crew ? They could have made short work of the body. Sometimes they hide in rock work when they are sick and die there. I would check your other fish for signs of distress

OP
OP
Josh Hobgood

Josh Hobgood

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone is eating that I see. I did not quarantine the clowns in January. Although I have a tank set up for this as of today. I have not noticed any unusual behavior. My clean up crew is not full yet. 10 snails. 10 hermits. An emerald crab. And a cleaner shrimp. How should I best proceed in future. I am just a little discouraged because my numbers are good but I know things still happen.

OP
OP
Josh Hobgood

Josh Hobgood

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could have been the cardinal I put in a month ago that died. Maybe he gave something to clown?

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could have been the cardinal I put in a month ago that died. Maybe he gave something to clown?
I wouldn’t over think it to much. Fish just go missing occasionally. I’m missing 3 since I started. No other fish are sick, no stray voltage, no sign of their body.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lost a yellow watchman for a month. Than one day heather yelled for me to come over to the tank saying I found the goby. I had moved to tbe back left corner under a base rock.

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would keep a close eye on the rest. Look closely at fins and scales for any unusual marks. Want to be sure there isn’t something else going on. If you have a lot of rock they can disappear, but best if we find out why.

If you rule out all else, it could be

upload_2019-5-6_22-9-4.gif

Jedi knight

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your loss of fish I don’t know what could’ve caused that to happen but maybe they could’ve been sick prior To purchase cuz I’ve had my 2 clowns fish for 2 years now

Michael Gilbreath

we all have are ways
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another thing did you use live rock to set up you might have a hidden crab or other invert that could be causing your losses .

OP
OP
Josh Hobgood

Josh Hobgood

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not have a star fish. I have an emerald crab. I used reed saver rock from BRS.

OP
OP
Josh Hobgood

Josh Hobgood

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had water tested at my LFS. Salinity was 1.027. Found out my calibration fluid is calibrating high.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back