Lost another fish

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I didn’t see it today, it was super easy to get him acclimated, it was like he had always Ben in this tank. Apparently someone gave it to the LFS as they were moving and wanted them to make sure he went to a good home. I know, could be anything. I’m just sad. I’d really like to add some fish besides this original Molly and now I feel like I’m failing big time. I hope you’re right and it’s hiding. My pH is 8.01 I know that’s low and am doing various tests to see why (tap, RODI water, my salt mix etc.) but most corals are OK. Not as open as they could be but open nonetheless.
I’ll keep searching
Stop using the tap in case it was a contributor. For starters, the amount of Alk in tap water can potentially double this number easily and affect CA and PH not to mention content of heavy metals, chloramine, polluants. flouride and other elements not contained in sea water. tap water also offers no ph buffering and note many areas have copper in their tap water which you do not want in your system. Next will be phosphates in water which will cause further issues.
As you can see - Risk is the issue

OP
OP
alliw

alliw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stop using the tap in case it was a contributor. For starters, the amount of Alk in tap water can potentially double this number easily and affect CA and PH not to mention content of heavy metals, chloramine, polluants. flouride and other elements not contained in sea water. tap water also offers no ph buffering and note many areas have copper in their tap water which you do not want in your system. Next will be phosphates in water which will cause further issues.
As you can see - Risk is the issue
I have an RODI machine so haven’t used straight tap water in my tank. I mentioned tap only because I was trying to compare the difference from that to Freshly mixed RODI and then salt mix

OP
OP
alliw

alliw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If my plumbing is copper, and I’m running water through an RODI do I need something else to help with pH? do the copper pipes have anything to do with lower pH and higher Alk levels?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
If my plumbing is copper, and I’m running water through an RODI do I need something else to help with pH? do the copper pipes have anything to do with lower pH and higher Alk levels?
Copper pipes should have low level impact if going through an RODI unit

OP
OP
alliw

alliw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copper pipes should have low level impact if going through an RODI unit
I have a small CO2 scrubber coming soon. Because I have an in tank skimmer, not sure how I’ll add it but if not to the skimmer maybe in the hob. Dunno if this will help but considering maybe the tank is just in the wrong place in our house ( small townhome in the dining area beside the kitchen) no natural gas in the kitchen but am in Canada, our furnace uses it

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I normally float the bag for an hour or so then start dripping 5ml every few mins for another hour
Floating for an hour is way too long. The more stress, the more chances a disease can strike. If you want to float, 15 minutes is okay. Then you can drip acclimate for an hour, bag open or in a container.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t see it today, it was super easy to get him acclimated, it was like he had always Ben in this tank. Apparently someone gave it to the LFS as they were moving and wanted them to make sure he went to a good home. I know, could be anything. I’m just sad. I’d really like to add some fish besides this original Molly and now I feel like I’m failing big time. I hope you’re right and it’s hiding. My pH is 8.01 I know that’s low and am doing various tests to see why (tap, RODI water, my salt mix etc.) but most corals are OK. Not as open as they could be but open nonetheless.
I’ll keep searching
pH of 8 is not low, and certainly not low for a fish.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a small CO2 scrubber coming soon. Because I have an in tank skimmer, not sure how I’ll add it but if not to the skimmer maybe in the hob. Dunno if this will help but considering maybe the tank is just in the wrong place in our house ( small townhome in the dining area beside the kitchen) no natural gas in the kitchen but am in Canada, our furnace uses it
I'm still not clear on why you think a pH of 8 needs any correction.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 113 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back