Lost..completely lost

tigerdragon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wasnt saying that was it just trying to think of things it could be. Yea i agree wouldnt think after 4 mos. kinda like zoas and paly with palytoxin maybe your one coral going to jelly is putting some toxin in tank might be worth removing that one and seeing what happens. I dont think your params are the big cause i think there is something else in there we arent seeing yet.

tigerdragon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A member of my local club starting to feed rotifers to his corals he is breeding clowns he said his corals went nuts with it.

OP
OP
Reef Fever

Reef Fever

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well the hammer was just two days ago, its since completely gone. Regardless i did a 20 gallon water change and but new carbon in the tank

markalot

Comic Relief
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO the damage is done and now you're in zombie coral mode. Acros can slowly die over literally months unless fragged, I've witnesses multiple times. My last episode was a Phosphate spike that slowed growth and led to an Alk spike. Once the damage is done corals will react differently and at different times. Some of my acros just looked horrible for a month, then perked back up with little tissue loss. Others looked ok for a few weeks, then started to slowly STN away until I fragged. Now almost all acros have recovered but one of my green millies, a small frag that was in the tank at the time of the spike, had started to STN.

Get a small acro frag, dip (I use Bayer always) and place in tank. You'll probably find it does just fine. You;re at the phase now where it's tempting to change something to stop the death but changes will only put more corals at risk. IMO.

I photo document just about everything so I have pictures.

This is a subulata, I think. This has some minor tissue loss on the most shaded part of the coral but it never spread.

Prior to the phosphate spike, October 2014
Sw5uOo.jpg

Post Spike (looking like it's about to RTN), November 2014
fx0avH.jpg

Slow slow recovery, January 2015
Haafs2.jpg

This is my Purple Fuzzy, prior to the issue.
L567A4.jpg

6YToaR.jpg

Post issue, rapid tip dieback, then slowly STN'ed until I fragged it down to just a single healthy branch. This was the only acro to show tip death.
sXxuqY.jpg

Etm3ma.jpg

Now recovering and showing new growth colors.
ukfnTK.jpg

And that green milli frag? It grew during the entire incident.
9GMPQi.jpg

... and then 2 weeks ago rapidly lost half of it's base.
fnH9fB.jpg

The way I look at it all of these corals were hurt and succumbed to different maladies due to their poor health, or like the first one above were able to recover on their own. The important thing to do is lock in stability again, frag if you have too, and don't over react to damage done weeks or months ago.

My KH is now stable at 8
PO4 < .06

As someone else has said to me, the trials of an acro keeper. :) Good luck, hang in there!

OP
OP
Reef Fever

Reef Fever

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO the damage is done and now you're in zombie coral mode. Acros can slowly die over literally months unless fragged, I've witnesses multiple times. My last episode was a Phosphate spike that slowed growth and led to an Alk spike. Once the damage is done corals will react differently and at different times. Some of my acros just looked horrible for a month, then perked back up with little tissue loss. Others looked ok for a few weeks, then started to slowly STN away until I fragged. Now almost all acros have recovered but one of my green millies, a small frag that was in the tank at the time of the spike, had started to STN.

Get a small acro frag, dip (I use Bayer always) and place in tank. You'll probably find it does just fine. You;re at the phase now where it's tempting to change something to stop the death but changes will only put more corals at risk. IMO.

I photo document just about everything so I have pictures.

This is a subulata, I think. This has some minor tissue loss on the most shaded part of the coral but it never spread.

Prior to the phosphate spike, October 2014
Sw5uOo.jpg

Post Spike (looking like it's about to RTN), November 2014
fx0avH.jpg

Slow slow recovery, January 2015
Haafs2.jpg

This is my Purple Fuzzy, prior to the issue.
L567A4.jpg

6YToaR.jpg

Post issue, rapid tip dieback, then slowly STN'ed until I fragged it down to just a single healthy branch. This was the only acro to show tip death.
sXxuqY.jpg

Etm3ma.jpg

Now recovering and showing new growth colors.
ukfnTK.jpg

And that green milli frag? It grew during the entire incident.
9GMPQi.jpg

... and then 2 weeks ago rapidly lost half of it's base.
fnH9fB.jpg

The way I look at it all of these corals were hurt and succumbed to different maladies due to their poor health, or like the first one above were able to recover on their own. The important thing to do is lock in stability again, frag if you have too, and don't over react to damage done weeks or months ago.

My KH is now stable at 8
PO4 < .06

As someone else has said to me, the trials of an acro keeper. :) Good luck, hang in there!

thanks man, I'm gonna work on getting my calcium reactor set up and see if i can't get things completely stable again

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 17 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 35 16.8%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 140 67.3%
  • Neither.

Votes: 10 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.9%
Back