Lost Sailfin Tang

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

I have a 180 gallon with sailfin tang, luetenent tang and blue tang along with some butterfly’s Anthia, angelfish

There has been some increasing aggression in the tank recently between the angelfish, I started with four dwarfs and now am left with two. I chalked it up to aggression.

Well now a few months later my most prized and loved fish, sailfin tang, was found dead. The night before he looked pretty beat up from fighting with lieutenant tang, but they fought somewhat regularly and didn’t think anything of it.

I’m pretty devastated and lost some interest in the hobby. Has anyone had a tang kill another out of aggression like this?

I’m now worried that these deaths are due to bacterial ailments or something because I can’t imagine this much loss due to aggression only.

there is no crypto/velvet in this tank ever but I did have a bacterial infection outbreak resulting in cloudy eyes about 6 months ago. This was treated and hasn’t returned. But I’m wondering if it could be lingering in the background.

Or simply tang killing tang.

Any advice or help? I would like to hear people have experienced a tang killing another tang which I can’t find much info about.

thanks

smlarson72

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lost a Chocolate Tang and I believe that my Sailfin killed it, along with an Angel. I removed the Sailfin, sold it to another hobbyist. I then added a Purple Tang and another Chocolate, both had been together in QT. I believe that the Purple killed the Chocolate because I found her dead after being added to my DT. They had been clashing earlier.

OP
OP
piranhaman00

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow so already a few stories of tangs killing out of aggression. Makes me feel like I’m not a failure but man I loved that fish, looks like I will stay away from tangs for a while.
More stories welcome.
Thanks

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
have you read this? It’s all about tang aggression

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't know that Lieutenant Tangs ranked as particularly aggressive, especially toward another Tang that looks so different (Sailfin). I am heartbroken that you lost your favorite fish. :(

OP
OP
piranhaman00

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
have you read this? It’s all about tang aggression

I did in the past, I will check it out again
I didn't know that Lieutenant Tangs ranked as particularly aggressive, especially toward another Tang that looks so different (Sailfin). I am heartbroken that you lost your favorite fish. :(

Thank you, yes he has been getting more and more aggressive as he matures, starting to fight with my blue tang a little.

mindme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely a worry. Thus far my tangs get along, but they are territorial and they do a lot of tail fanning towards each other. Thus far they don't really damage each other, but as they get older it will be a concern.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 146 61.1%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 66 27.6%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 84 35.1%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 42 17.6%
  • Other

Votes: 65 27.2%
Back