Loud overflow need help

kris2for

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New to reef tanks and almost done setting up 125g in living room. Unfortunately noise is loud. So I researched bean animal style ,but it wont fit. Please help silence so wife let's me keep in living room

Modular marine overflow
Triton sump
5.0 sycc silent pump
Reef octopus 150int

20210116_124656.jpg 20210114_191917.jpg 20210116_124644.jpg

Attachments

• 20210114_191924.mp4
    12.2 MB
OP
OP
kris2for

kris2for

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would this work. Other U bean doesnt fit so took off a 90

Attachments

• 20210116_125237.jpg
    20210116_125237.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 53

Colin_S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you have a emergency drain? If you do, you could try slowing the flow of water from where the water enters the sump. i did this to mine using a gate valve. Much better than ball valves.

You want to create a full siphon which is no noise, but i wouldn't do this without a emergency drain. You balance the return pump to the drain line

OP
OP
kris2for

kris2for

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you have a emergency drain? If you do, you could try slowing the flow of water from where the water enters the sump. i did this to mine using a gate valve. Much better than ball valves.

You want to create a full siphon which is no noise, but i wouldn't do this without a emergency drain. You balance the return pump to the drain line
Ya the middle pipe is emergency. Tried tweaking levels with valve shown in pic, but still had draining noise

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shorten/lower primary/full siphon pipe in overflow box, the one with valve.
If no room for elbows on secondary do a stockman stand pipe. There may be no need for stockman if you use valve on primary to allow less water down secondary

OP
OP
kris2for

kris2for

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shorten/lower primary/full siphon pipe in overflow box, the one with valve.
If no room for elbows on secondary do a stockman stand pipe. There may be no need for stockman if you use valve on primary to allow less water down secondary
main is just hole in box. And tried adjusting with ball valve, but was still to much drain noise for wife in living room.

So right main drain do a U bean animal on bottom, then secondary left do a Stockman , and then straight for emergency?

Colin_S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A full siphon is where the water level in the DT sits above the drain by a inch or two, so no air is being drawn down the pipe. It will be hard to fine tune with a ball valve, trust me i tried for ages before changing it to a gate valve. But it can be done.
This will be silent. example..
When you have bath, and pull the plug, the water draining away is silent. When the water level gets near the plug, the air starts to get sucked in and becomes noisy.

The issue with this is patience. Even if the flow is unbalanced from the return pump and the drain by 1%, eventually the return pump will pump too much water into the DT. But once you get the sweet spot, it will be 100% silent.

syrinx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Colin has good advice. I would add, there are times where even the quietest overflow can be an issue. In high end installations I always have a sound deadening cover for the box for any stray gurgles.

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The noise in your video is from the flow of the through-glass bulkheads hitting the top of the water in the box. They need to be mostly submerged so running the level higher is your fix.

I made my ghost overflow with a Herbie dead silent by;
No pipe in box on main drain
Emerg pipe as tall as possible but still able to handle full flow.
Gate valve is a must for micro adjustments. It's near impossible to fine tune with a ball valve.

My back box handles 5-1/2" of water and I run it @ 4-1/2 to 4-3/4"
I installed a float in the back box to turn off the return 'IF' the level hits near flood but luckily that never happens with about 550-600gph, and the only time it ever got close was when I tried to run a standpipe on the main. During a restart without a standpipe, the main always flushes air and hits a full siphon well before the level is high.

So, install a Gate Valve on the main drain and tweak the back box level to within 1 to 1-1/2" of the top.
Mark the handle on the valve to visually help with micro-adjustments - 1/8" turn tweaks are a good start.

Once you have the running level set, test the emerg by blocking the main drain and adjust as needed. As I wrote above, as tall as possible to allow keeping the through-bulkheads covered as much as possible but short enough to handle full flow.

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, don't submerge the emerg in the sump. The box will overflow before a full siphon is achieved, and it's best you hear it running/splashing in the sump so you can micro-adjust the back box level

OP
OP
kris2for

kris2for

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The noise in your video is from the flow of the through-glass bulkheads hitting the top of the water in the box. They need to be mostly submerged so running the level higher is your fix.

I made my ghost overflow with a Herbie dead silent by;
No pipe in box on main drain
Emerg pipe as tall as possible but still able to handle full flow.
Gate valve is a must for micro adjustments. It's near impossible to fine tune with a ball valve.

My back box handles 5-1/2" of water and I run it @ 4-1/2 to 4-3/4"
I installed a float in the back box to turn off the return 'IF' the level hits near flood but luckily that never happens with about 550-600gph, and the only time it ever got close was when I tried to run a standpipe on the main. During a restart without a standpipe, the main always flushes air and hits a full siphon well before the level is high.

So, install a Gate Valve on the main drain and tweak the back box level to within 1 to 1-1/2" of the top.
Mark the handle on the valve to visually help with micro-adjustments - 1/8" turn tweaks are a good start.

Once you have the running level set, test the emerg by blocking the main drain and adjust as needed. As I wrote above, as tall as possible to allow keeping the through-bulkheads covered as much as possible but short enough to handle full flow.
the glass bulkheads need to be mostly submerged? I will probably have to try and cut the thread on left bulkhead to make the far left secondary drain taller.

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the glass bulkheads need to be mostly submerged? I will probably have to try and cut the thread on left bulkhead to make the far left secondary drain taller.
Instead of permanently modifying the bulkhead, try using a couple 45 degree fittings to get the emerg away from it
No glue needed - just pressure fit the pieces together. This will also allow you to tweak the final height without messing with the emerg drain bulkhead

OP
OP
kris2for

kris2for

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Instead of permanently modifying the bulkhead, try using a couple 45 degree fittings to get the emerg away from it
No glue needed - just pressure fit the pieces together. This will also allow you to tweak the final height without messing with the emerg drain bulkhead
Emergency has clearance, it's the left secondary drain that had no room

Attachments

• 20210116_194123.jpg
    20210116_194123.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 35
  • 20210116_194132.jpg
    20210116_194132.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 36
OP
OP
kris2for

kris2for

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A full siphon is where the water level in the DT sits above the drain by a inch or two, so no air is being drawn down the pipe. It will be hard to fine tune with a ball valve, trust me i tried for ages before changing it to a gate valve. But it can be done.
This will be silent. example..
When you have bath, and pull the plug, the water draining away is silent. When the water level gets near the plug, the air starts to get sucked in and becomes noisy.

The issue with this is patience. Even if the flow is unbalanced from the return pump and the drain by 1%, eventually the return pump will pump too much water into the DT. But once you get the sweet spot, it will be 100% silent.
Ya wish I did gate valve to begin with, but only saw ball valve. Local hobbiest help me plumb everything since new, and idk if confident to take it all apart to install gate valve. I tried to adjust ball valve for a few hours to get silent, but couldn't get wife approval.

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya wish I did gate valve to begin with, but only saw ball valve. Local hobbiest help me plumb everything since new, and idk if confident to take it all apart to install gate valve. I tried to adjust ball valve for a few hours to get silent, but couldn't get wife approval.
Find someone to help if need be. A gate valve is a must for fine tuning

OP
OP
kris2for

kris2for

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you running a Bean?
it was just 3 straight pipes. Far left was secondary i had like 2 inches of pipe as far till glass bulkhead got in way, next to it had emergency straight pipe , and far right was nothing in drain and controlled at bottom with gate vlave

image_2021-01-16_195913.png

Last edited:
Back