Loud overflow need help

HockeyRooster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forget the name of mine but it’s the one where there is a lower pipe with a ball valve and it creates a syphon. The other is the overflow. If your noise is from the weir due to the height, you need to close the ball valve until there is less of a water fall. Not sure if this makes sense so here’s a pic of mine. If I let the water get lower in the overflow, it gets noisy.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 47

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's hard to see how it's all currently plumbed from the back box to your sump.
Can you describe left to right how the back box bulkheads go to the sump?

If you can't run a true Bean Animal setup, plug the third bulkhead.
Run the bulkhead below the through-bulkhead as the main with no pipe in the box, and use the best 'other' drain bulkhead as the emerg to allow for a straight 'tall' pipe

OP
OP
kris2for

kris2for

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's hard to see how it's all currently plumbed from the back box to your sump.
Can you describe left to right how the back box bulkheads go to the sump?

If you can't run a true Bean Animal setup, plug the third bulkhead.
Run the bulkhead below the through-bulkhead as the main with no pipe in the box, and use the best 'other' drain bulkhead as the emerg to allow for a straight 'tall' pipe
1610848977825.png

OP
OP
kris2for

kris2for

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forget the name of mine but it’s the one where there is a lower pipe with a ball valve and it creates a syphon. The other is the overflow. If your noise is from the weir due to the height, you need to close the ball valve until there is less of a water fall. Not sure if this makes sense so here’s a pic of mine. If I let the water get lower in the overflow, it gets noisy.
Ya I had it originally like that. Far right no pipe with full siphon controled by ball valve, and far left secondary i tried to set to just a slight trickle or what ever minimized sound. Spent hours trying

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see the issue.
Correct me if I'm not seeing it correctly;
Your center drain is the emerg
Your left and right are both mains, but only the right is controlled by the valve.

Plug the left and the valve should work

OP
OP
kris2for

kris2for

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see the issue.
Correct me if I'm not seeing it correctly;
Your center drain is the emerg
Your left and right are both mains, but only the right is controlled by the valve.

Plug the left and the valve should work
correct only right has valve. Ok ima goto lowes right now and try to find a plug for left. Thank you!

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The main full siphon can be just a bulkhead with no upside down U pipe - once fully submerged and not sucking air it makes no noise. The secondary trickle drain is best to have a U pipe and should be tall enough that the water level in the box is at least as high as the top of the bulkheads coming from the weir. If too low then there is water noise as it enters the box. Emergency drain just a little bit higher.
Primary and secondary drain pipes should be about 1" submerged in the sump water level and the emergency should NOT be submerged - you want to hear it if it's taking water.

IMG_1557.JPG

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adjust the valve on the primary drain until the secondary gets just a trickle of water through it and holds a steady water level in the overflow box.

OP
OP
kris2for

kris2for

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back box is the outer box with the drains.
Plumbing is the 90s I see in your photos.
Just run the main off the right bulkhead with no internal pipe/fittings.
Straight from the bottom of the box to the valve ....
ohh ok i understand now. So the loud noise on second drain is bc no valve to control it. So just plug secondary completely to resolve

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The main full siphon can be just a bulkhead with no upside down U pipe - once fully submerged and not sucking air it makes no noise. The secondary trickle drain is best to have a U pipe and should be tall enough that the water level in the box is at least as high as the top of the bulkheads coming from the weir. If too low then there is water noise as it enters the box. Emergency drain just a little bit higher.
Primary and secondary drain pipes should be about 1" submerged in the sump water level and the emergency should NOT be submerged - you want to hear it if it's taking water.

IMG_1557.JPG
OP can't use your setup style as the main and secondaries are T'd together which stops a full siphon. This is why I recommend they plug the left/secondary bulkhead

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ohh ok i understand now. So the loud noise on second drain is bc no valve to control it. So just plug secondary completely to resolve
Yes, plug it, but it's not the cause of your noise. The video shows me noise from the through-glass bulkheads being exposed, not sucking noise from the drains

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Main and secondary should never be T'd together, but if so then yes, just close off the secondary. Many systems run fine with just a main and an emergency. Might be tricky to adjust the main well enough with that ball valve though!

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The full siphon needs be lowest in overflow box, and must be alone, not tee’d into anything else. Also, a ball valve works, gate valve is easier

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 16.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 67 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.7%
Back