Need help being informed on overflows

nathan212178

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my bottom portion of the tank broke becuase of a mistake I did, but it gave me the option for 2 things,
1. Reseal the tank anew(by a local company)
2. Choose a different overflow

I called my lfs and asked them about the quietest overflow I can have and they told me a bean animal overflow and ghost overflow.
I was looking it up but it’s a bit confusing to me as this will be my first plumbed tank, and wanted to get more information on which one to choose or make for the most quietest.

The tank is 36x20x20

Also would like some help with the placement of the drill holes, like what size and how many on the upper middle region of the back side of the tank. I would want a emergency pipe as well just in case

The tank did come with a tower like overflow but I feel like it will be loud, or am I wrong?

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well any over flow with 3 pipes can be set up bean animal style, 1 pipe is a siphon with a gate valve to control the siphon, a secondary drain in the durso style, and a 3rd pipe as an emergency drain.
Ghost or shadow overflows are the inside the tank part and just tend to be slimmer in profile to hide them better.

And we could just ask the man himself for further info @BeanAnimal

OP
OP
N

nathan212178

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well any over flow with 3 pipes can be set up bean animal style, 1 pipe is a siphon with a gate valve to control the siphon, a secondary drain in the durso style, and a 3rd pipe as an emergency drain.
Ghost or shadow overflows are the inside the tank part and just tend to be slimmer in profile to hide them better.

And we could just ask the man himself for further info @BeanAnimal
So then should I keep the tower overflow and make it a bean animal style? I looked back at it and it seems like it might be be a bit small, however I am not fully sure.
Should I get an external ghost or something similar overflow and use that with the animal bean style?
Sorry for the many questions

topjimmy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my bottom portion of the tank broke becuase of a mistake I did, but it gave me the option for 2 things,
1. Reseal the tank anew(by a local company)
2. Choose a different overflow

I called my lfs and asked them about the quietest overflow I can have and they told me a bean animal overflow and ghost overflow.
I was looking it up but it’s a bit confusing to me as this will be my first plumbed tank, and wanted to get more information on which one to choose or make for the most quietest.

The tank is 36x20x20

Also would like some help with the placement of the drill holes, like what size and how many on the upper middle region of the back side of the tank. I would want a emergency pipe as well just in case

The tank did come with a tower like overflow but I feel like it will be loud, or am I wrong?
I have a lifereef overflow and it's pretty quiet. Great build quality

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So then should I keep the tower overflow and make it a bean animal style? I looked back at it and it seems like it might be be a bit small, however I am not fully sure.
Should I get an external ghost or something similar overflow and use that with the animal bean style?
Sorry for the many questions
I would need to see how your "tower" over flow is set up. 2 holes in the bottom of the tank? Typical "tower" overflows are set up like this, I have seen tanks built or sometimes reconfigured with more then 2 holes in the bottom for one "tower" or weir. These holes have the pipes going from inside the tank to the sump.
The ghost overflows are a through side panel, the weir and box are 2 separate pieces connected through the glass by a bulkhead or a couple bulk heads. The box on the outside of the tank then has the pipes that go to your sump.
I have used eshopps eclipse overflows on a couple tanks I have drilled myself.
1711142426512.png

You can see the 3 down pipes and the 2 bulkheads in this pic.

OP
OP
N

nathan212178

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would need to see how your "tower" over flow is set up. 2 holes in the bottom of the tank? Typical "tower" overflows are set up like this, I have seen tanks built or sometimes reconfigured with more then 2 holes in the bottom for one "tower" or weir. These holes have the pipes going from inside the tank to the sump.
The ghost overflows are a through side panel, the weir and box are 2 separate pieces connected through the glass by a bulkhead or a couple bulk heads. The box on the outside of the tank then has the pipes that go to your sump.
I have used eshopps eclipse overflows on a couple tanks I have drilled myself.
1711142426512.png

You can see the 3 down pipes and the 2 bulkheads in this pic.
I see, here is the tower overflow I was referencing, It is broken but will replace the glass.

As far as noise, how loud is it?

Attachments

• IMG_8809.jpeg
    IMG_8809.jpeg
    228.3 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_8807.jpeg
    IMG_8807.jpeg
    276.2 KB · Views: 28

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tower overflows can run a Herbie style if you bring the return back over the top.
They are quiet too when set correctly.
This.
This is how my 80 cube is set up. I am lucky I have 2 holes that are 1" So 1 is set up as a siphon with a gate valve to control the siphon and an emergency drain. It really quiet I have a open stand and the noise from the sump area is almost nothing. I have a canopy on top with it closed I hear nothing from it, open I get a slight trickle sound but could do away with it if I were to raise the water level in the overflow.

The eclipse is also very silent little to no noise from the actual overflow.

If you are replacing the bottom pane see if you can get a new tower and have the pane drilled or do it yourself for 3 holes of the same size 1" bulkhead. Set it up bean animal style. Youd have to get a new overflow weir. Or just do the 2 holes and set it up like mine Herbie style. Using your existing weir. Again I would do 1" bulkhead holes. Looks like your old one was 1-1" and 1-3/4" (I may be wrong on that). In that scenario you would want the smaller diameter to be your siphon and the larger your emergency drain. Cuts down on how many gph can come from your return. Put your return plumbing over the back glass.

OP
OP
N

nathan212178

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tower overflows can run a Herbie style if you bring the return back over the top.
They are quiet too when set correctly.
I wanna say that was what he was running as I saw this when breaking it down
But wouldn’t it be bette to also run an emergency pipe?

I was seeing a lot of synergy and MM overflows with good reviews but is it worth it to replace what I have now?

Attachments

• IMG_8810.jpeg
    IMG_8810.jpeg
    250.8 KB · Views: 22
OP
OP
N

nathan212178

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This.
This is how my 80 cube is set up. I am lucky I have 2 holes that are 1" So 1 is set up as a siphon with a gate valve to control the siphon and an emergency drain. It really quiet I have a open stand and the noise from the sump area is almost nothing. I have a canopy on top with it closed I hear nothing from it, open I get a slight trickle sound but could do away with it if I were to raise the water level in the overflow.

The eclipse is also very silent little to no noise from the actual overflow.

If you are replacing the bottom pane see if you can get a new tower and have the pane drilled or do it yourself for 3 holes of the same size 1" bulkhead. Set it up bean animal style. Youd have to get a new overflow weir. Or just do the 2 holes and set it up like mine Herbie style. Using your existing weir. Again I would do 1" bulkhead holes. Looks like your old one was 1-1" and 1-3/4" (I may be wrong on that). In that scenario you would want the smaller diameter to be your siphon and the larger your emergency drain. Cuts down on how many gph can come from your return. Put your return plumbing over the back glass.
Thank you, I will probably want to do a bean animal style as it seems more reliable, but question is if it would be better to do it like a ghost or shadow overflow or an internal tower like what I have now, I’m not too sure which one to choose however

Since I am getting the bottom portion replaced, I can ask to get the manufacturer to drill three holes on the bottom 1”+ in diameter for each, but I would have to look for towers that can do that.

But I can ask a local store to cut the glass on the back wall to get a ghost/shadow overflow, but it’s hard to choose. This will be my first drilled tank so I don’t want to make a bad move for the future

OP
OP
N

nathan212178

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did forge to mention one thing, the sump is a trigger with only one fitting pipe, will this still be ok or what should I do?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    183 KB · Views: 20

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did forge to mention one thing, the sump is a trigger with only one fitting pipe, will this still be ok or what should I do?
If you do a herbie you can put your full siphon (main drain) in that spot your emergency can just go in the open area. There should be very little if no water in the emergency unless its an emergency and then you want it making noise, pipe will gurgle, and water should be pouring into sump making noise too. I would reuse your weir and go herbie if it was mine. If you go bean you will need to modify your sump if you want mechanical filtration on all the water coming out of your tank. But in reality you can just put both the secondary drain and emergency drain of a bean system into the open spot of the sump. The majority of the water will be going down your siphon anyway in to the sock.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanna say that was what he was running as I saw this when breaking it down
But wouldn’t it be bette to also run an emergency pipe?

I was seeing a lot of synergy and MM overflows with good reviews but is it worth it to replace what I have now?
Yeah not sure on that. I'd think he had it set up as a durso. You do not want to use a ball valve like he has in the pic on a siphon drain. Use a gate valve, they cost more but are far more precise for tuning. A ball valve will eventually drive you crazy.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Since I am getting the bottom portion replaced, I can ask to get the manufacturer to drill three holes on the bottom 1”+ in diameter for each, but I would have to look for towers that can do that.
If your plan was to use 1" pvc, then the holes need to be larger than 1".
Looking on BRS's website under ABS bulkheads, the diameter hole you want is actually 1.65" ( 42mm).
You should get the bulkheads you plan on using and use the measurement on them to tell your glass guy what size hole to drill.

edit, I see after the fact that you said 1+" hole, so I'm assuming you planned for more than just 1".

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking on BRS's website under ABS bulkheads, the diameter hole you want is actually 1.65" ( 42mm).
You should get the bulkheads you plan on using and use the measurement on them to tell your glass guy what size hole to drill.
In my head that was a given. Thank you! I should have pointed it out.

OP
OP
N

nathan212178

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

edit, I see after the fact that you said 1+" hole, so I'm assuming you planned for more than just 1".
yes, sorry for the late reply ive been a bit busy. as i was saying, yes i was reccomended anything plumbed to be more than an inch, by what your saying a diameter of 1.65 should be good. i have a few questions though:
do i ask the manufacturer to cut three holes or two on the new bottom side of the glass?

if i cut three holes i would have to sell the current weir and buy a new one, if i go with 2 holes i will keep the current weir and want to connect an emergency pipe to the secondary but not sure how useful that would be, or just do herbie hoping i wouldnt need an emergency. i have no experience with anything plumbed or sumped so i cant say what i think would be best

also, am i going to have to cut another hole on the back side of the glass? one of the 2 pipes i sent a picture of was supposed to be the return to the display, what should i do?

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With a herbie its only 2 pipes one is siphon the other is emergency. You dont have to drill glass in back just run return up over the back glass. You can if you want but I find it works just as well going over the glass.

edit If you want tonight I can take pics of my herbie drain and how I ran my return.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
yes, sorry for the late reply ive been a bit busy. as i was saying, yes i was reccomended anything plumbed to be more than an inch, by what your saying a diameter of 1.65 should be good. i have a few questions though:
do i ask the manufacturer to cut three holes or two on the new bottom side of the glass?

if i cut three holes i would have to sell the current weir and buy a new one, if i go with 2 holes i will keep the current weir and want to connect an emergency pipe to the secondary but not sure how useful that would be, or just do herbie hoping i wouldnt need an emergency. i have no experience with anything plumbed or sumped so i cant say what i think would be best

also, am i going to have to cut another hole on the back side of the glass? one of the 2 pipes i sent a picture of was supposed to be the return to the display, what should i do?
It's really all up to you how you want the drain system to be.
2 holes= herbie
3 holes bean animal

Sounds like you have already purchased some of the equipment.
Nothing wrong with a herbie drain.

As far as the emergency drain, the herbie system has the emergency drain in the setup in the design.
1 hole is the full syphon drain that has the gate valve on it. You really need to spend the $ for a good gate valve. Ball valves will be nothing but a pita on this or just outright totally useless.
The second hole is the emergency drain. This is also a necessary part of the design.
Don't skip steps.

Having a dedicated return hole drilled is up to you.
On one of my tanks I had a return hole drilled in the upper corner of my tank ( about 4" from the top)
On my other tank it has a over the top return line.
Both work equally well, but I do like the look of the drilled hole better.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 76 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back