OP
OP
N

nathan212178

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's really all up to you how you want the drain system to be.
2 holes= herbie
3 holes bean animal

Sounds like you have already purchased some of the equipment.
Nothing wrong with a herbie drain.

As far as the emergency drain, the herbie system has the emergency drain in the setup in the design.
1 hole is the full syphon drain that has the gate valve on it. You really need to spend the $ for a good gate valve. Ball valves will be nothing but a pita on this or just outright totally useless.
The second hole is the emergency drain. This is also a necessary part of the design.
Don't skip steps.

Having a dedicated return hole drilled is up to you.
On one of my tanks I had a return hole drilled in the upper corner of my tank ( about 4" from the top)
On my other tank it has a over the top return line.
Both work equally well, but I do like the look of the drilled hole better.
thank you, there is a dedicated notch for the return pump nozzle, i wanted to ask but do you think i can fit 3 holes in the wier? 2 for herbie and the third for the return?

as well, i wanted to ask if the holes i should cut would be all 1.65"? or (what) would there be specific sizes for each hole?(depending on what their used for)

also, where would you buy a new weir?

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
thank you, there is a dedicated notch for the return pump nozzle, i wanted to ask but do you think i can fit 3 holes in the wier? 2 for herbie and the third for the return?

as well, i wanted to ask if the holes i should cut would be all 1.65"? or (what) would there be specific sizes for each hole?(depending on what their used for)

also, where would you buy a new weir?
Honestly, I have no idea how much room you have, so I can't answer your question.
The size holes are determined by the bulkheads you buy.
I would not order holes cut ( or do them yourself) until you have the actual bulkheads in hand.
Get the bulkheads, measure them ( or use the website where you get them for measurements) and measure the space you have and figure what drain system you have room for.
I would do all the same size holes.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back