Louisiana red bug crawfish

Gp!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Procambarus clarkii

I've been reading these are able to live at 35ppt salinity but nothing talks about raising them this way. Has anyone converted these to saltwater and had any luck with them breeding?

Looking for a renewable source of inverts that are easy to raise

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Problem is a lot of freshwater/brackish stuff can survive for a while in high salinity but idk if it shortens lifespans. Also they probably wont breed and fry wont survive at that salinity so it wouldnt be renewable

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Inverts that breed well in aquariums include peppermint shrimp and even more easily snails like cerith and trochus

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Problem is a lot of freshwater/brackish stuff can survive for a while in high salinity but idk if it shortens lifespans. Also they probably wont breed and fry wont survive at that salinity so it wouldnt be renewable
You can always meet them half way. Most reef fish and inverts do just fine at 1.020 or even lower.

OP
OP
G

Gp!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can always meet them half way. Most reef fish and inverts do just fine at 1.020 or even lower.

I've read that a lower salt level increases the breeding for intensive culture. Most of the data I've found is for human consumption or environmental impact type studies. Similar I guess but was hoping there was a 35ppt strain out there for raising feeders :)

SaltBabies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know about crawfish but peppermint shrimp are fairly easy to get babies.

When you say a reliable invert are you feeding corals? fish? what are you trying to accomplish?

OP
OP
G

Gp!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know about crawfish but peppermint shrimp are fairly easy to get babies.

When you say a reliable invert are you feeding corals? fish? what are you trying to accomplish?

Something that is about as easy as mollies (i.e. hands off just feed) and grow fast enough to sustain invert predators in a reasonable amount of space - i.e. a large tank, not a raceway or pond

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
none i think for saltwater, both glass and peppermint shrimp are not hands off for breeding, that is why many feed mollies or move on to frozen foods for predator fish

SaltBabies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something that is about as easy as mollies (i.e. hands off just feed) and grow fast enough to sustain invert predators in a reasonable amount of space - i.e. a large tank, not a raceway or pond
LOL mollies are the easiest thing in both fresh and salt so Don't think you are going to find a replacement. What is the predator, how much volume we talking?

OP
OP
G

Gp!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL mollies are the easiest thing in both fresh and salt so Don't think you are going to find a replacement. What is the predator, how much volume we talking?

I don't know. These guys seem pretty easy. Just found another paper showing a pretty high survival rate too after 65 days. Plenty long enough for this purpose if raised in a separate system at lower salinity for sure: Salinity tolerance of the invasive red swamp crayfish Procambarus clarkii (Girard, 1852). On my cell so the title is all I've got but I'm sure google will grab it for you

SaltBabies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know. These guys seem pretty easy. Just found another paper showing a pretty high survival rate too after 65 days. Plenty long enough for this purpose if raised in a separate system at lower salinity for sure: Salinity tolerance of the invasive red swamp crayfish Procambarus clarkii (Girard, 1852). On my cell so the title is all I've got but I'm sure google will grab it for you
Sounds great. Keep us updated on how you try it out and what are the results.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may be easier to set up a freshwater tank and get the same results, then just put the crayfish in for feedings. Less hassle with salt and acclimation.

OP
OP
G

Gp!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may be easier to set up a freshwater tank and get the same results, then just put the crayfish in for feedings. Less hassle with salt and acclimation.

Probably right. I just prefer the idea of them in the sump and also not dying in the tank.

Good chance it won't work I guess - I was really hoping someone would be like I've done that!

If going the freshwater route the marbled crayfish might be a better choice as they clone themselves and apparently don't cannibalize. They just have low salinity tolerance

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back