Love at first sight? Coral banded shrimp loaded with eggs less then a week from meeting each other?

JadeM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi huys...i have had a male of quite a large size in my reef tank for around a year or two now.....and around a week or less ago i introduced a medium female...this morning i fed my two zebra morays and noticed yellow/lime greenish eggs under the females 'tail'....i was wondering if its possible to successfully rear the eggs into little bay ones! ay advice or experience would be great thanks ! :)

OP
OP
JadeM

JadeM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pics up soon :) any advice or experience would be great :)

Roboson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The answer is not really. Rearing crustaceans is super difficult, AND coral banded shrimp are especially difficult. The larvae start off really really small, and are very delicate in a closed environment.

wkscott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is much more difficult than it appears. Even most "experts" aren't able to do it. If it was easier, we would be able to purchase captive-bred coral banded shrimp. As it stands now, every one is wild caught.

On the other hand, freshwater shrimp are a piece of cake to breed and raise the offspring . Go figure...

OP
OP
JadeM

JadeM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The answer is not really. Rearing crustaceans is super difficult, AND coral banded shrimp are especially difficult. The larvae start off really really small, and are very delicate in a closed environment.
This is much more difficult than it appears. Even most "experts" aren't able to do it. If it was easier, we would be able to purchase captive-bred coral banded shrimp. As it stands now, every one is wild caught.

On the other hand, freshwater shrimp are a piece of cake to breed and raise the offspring . Go figure...
thanks :) hopefully there is a future of captive bred ones ;)

Roboson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Peppermint shrimp are occasionally captive bred. You could look up how that's done and give it a shot. Maybe you'll get lucky and it'll work on coral bandeds as well. It won't be easy, and it may not work at all, but if you want to try that's what I'd do.

OP
OP
JadeM

JadeM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Peppermint shrimp are occasionally captive bred. You could look up how that's done and give it a shot. Maybe you'll get lucky and it'll work on coral bandeds as well. It won't be easy, and it may not work at all, but if you want to try that's what I'd do.
yeah... i'll give it a shot maybe... :)
Photos please!
ok i'll try get one of them together when they come out for feeding time later! ;)

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 76 44.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 79 46.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 16 9.4%
Back