Moray compatibility with Snowflake in softie reef 180

YoubetyourWrasse

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am flirting with the idea of having a second Moray help feed the softy reef 180g (150 footprint [18.5in w] d/t built in wet dry space on back). My 14inch Snowflake at the moment does not show interest in Hermits, Snails, & Conchs; however, he is well fed with squid/octopus bi-weekly and is definitely not a mature Moray yet. I was considering adding another Moray. I will either go the route of an invert heavy CuC or adding two Tangs & a Foxface (or simply just a few Tangs). I am limited on Tang size to medium Zebrasomas, white-tail BT, maybe a smaller/medium Acanthurus in a tank this size.

The Eel I am considering would either be a Banana, Skeletor, or Zebra. I am not really wanting a Golden Dwarf in a tank this size and kind of worried that the snowflake would bully it. I would really like a Banana Eel. It would be the closest thing to a Tessalata...haha but much smaller and less aggressive. If the Tangs would be toast though, might go to the other options or consider strictly inverts. With that in mind, what Eel do you think would have less potential to decimate snails/hermit/cuc? One thing is Herimits and snails are fairly easy to replace. I am open to suggestions, and I know this idea is a little unorthodox. @lion king shameless plug for some good Moray info :)

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do love the banana eel, but they are a fang tooth, and can be dangerous to many but larger semi to aggressive fish. In that footprint, I like the skelator as a companion to a snowflake. With any pebbletooth eel you will not be guaranteed not to lose your cuc. A 14" snowflake is still a juvi, so don't be surprised if their appetite and attitude changes as they mature.

OP
OP
YoubetyourWrasse

YoubetyourWrasse

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do love the banana eel, but they are a fang tooth, and can be dangerous to many but larger semi to aggressive fish. In that footprint, I like the skelator as a companion to a snowflake. With any pebbletooth eel you will not be guaranteed not to lose your cuc. A 14" snowflake is still a juvi, so don't be surprised if their appetite and attitude changes as they mature.
Thanks for the info. Will stray from banana and possibly get a skeletor eel in future :)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 28 60.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 4.3%
Back