Loving my Deltec 1500ix!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oddly enough, I bought my very first Deltec from Dave @shred5 years ago, I bought his used mce500. Dave and I do go back a little bit now lol :)

More than years ago.. That was when I lived in that tiny Apartment on Arcadian.

Yea I told that story to someone yesterday that was looking at HOB skimmers, one of the skimmers he is considering was the MCE600. He wanted know where to get one and some info and I sent him your way.

Deltec makes a good skimmer and always has.

JDowns

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Taking a break between tank maintenance to give a shout out.

I normally don't take the time to write reviews. I lack the attention span to do so, I usually get through half a review before I lose interest. But I have to complete this one for Adam and Deltec.

Love, love, love this skimmer.

1.). Packaging. You can tell a lot about a product in the care that a company takes in their packaging. Believe it or not this takes effort, and some poor guy behind a computer designing the packaging in CAD, getting foam cut to size, etc. If you have ever received an Apple device and opened the box you know what I mean. Skimmer was very well packaged against rattles and bumps that can happen in shipping. The skimmer box is then placed in another box with bubble wrap. As an added boot the darn thing is assembled and ready to install.

2.). Setup. This is probably the easiest skimmer I've ever setup. The ability to dial in the height with the adjustment knob and the DC controller made install super simple. I think it took me 15 minutes from start to finish. The adjustments on the DC controller really makes getting your desired skim level a breeze. If you want to skim a little wetter or dryer, I can see myself not having to touch the adjustment knob but simply decrease or increase the pump flow. Mine is set at the recommended level 7. Within minutes it's already starting to pull gunk out. Mind you not dark gunk, but that nice yellow tan gunk that starts the process.

3.). Noise Level. I dare you....no I triple dog dare you to hear this thing running over any thing else in the sump.

4.). This solved my cavitation issue with the previous skimmer (Nyos), at startup, requiring manual intervention to get air flowing back through the skimmer by either blowing in the tube, or lifting the skimmer almost to the water line.

5.). Only Negative. The only negative I can think of, and what is a review without one, is that the cable length from the skimmer to the controller could be longer, in my case about two feet. I had to mount the controller in the sump area of my stand rather than the controller area. Not a huge deal since I have plenty of wall space in the sump area, and the controller and connectors are sealed. Plus this really is a set it and forget it device, unless you need to quickly access one area for feed modes.

JDowns

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really liking this skimmer.

Setting up another 525xl and just ordered another Deltec for that tank.

alshayazoo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been looking at Deltec's for a while when I came across these new skimmers. @Battlecorals I'm looking at one for a Red Sea Reefer Peninsula 650. Would you recommend the 1000 or the 1500 size? Also, what is the difference between the i and the ix versions, just AC and DC? Can you tell me the benefit of one over the other?

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I've been looking at Deltec's for a while when I came across these new skimmers. @Battlecorals I'm looking at one for a Red Sea Reefer Peninsula 650. Would you recommend the 1000 or the 1500 size? Also, what is the difference between the i and the ix versions, just AC and DC? Can you tell me the benefit of one over the other?
Hi there,

Great call considering a Deltec! Can you give me the total water volume approximately of that system? I'll confess my confidence in DC pumps early on was very low and i'd generally steer people toward the AC version. ( personally I prefer the AC anyway) but they have worked out a lot of bugs in the electronics of the DC pumps and my early concerns about the DC's have been quelled for a while now. So ultimately it comes down to a matter of preference. The DC's are controllable, which can be a benefit in some cases. Usually if the skimmer is oversized at all. Other wise performance is essentially the same, as is noise. Which any Deltec user can confirms virtually zero.

Please let me know if you have any other questions at all.

JDowns

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the benefits of the DC is the controllability and was super easy to dial in. Plus you can adjust once you have a set point to either skim dryer or wetter by adjusting the pump speed.

Either way you can't go wrong. Cleaning the skimmer for maintenance is a huge plus. Remove one set screw and the whole thing comes apart so easy. That has made it actually enjoyable to do cleaning rather than be a chore.

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The total water volume listed is 175 gal.

That explains the DC vs. AC quite well. Thank you!!!

Cool I generally say that the 1000ix is just about the perfect skimmer for a 180. In this case that's the one I'd go with for sure. Please let me know if you have any other questions at all.

RichC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the Deltec 600i controllable through the APEX vdm module/ports?

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Is the Deltec 600i controllable through the APEX vdm module/ports?

Man thats a good question. I don't really know but I guess it was possible with the right connectors? as of now i don't believe so though.

SifuMemphis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really liking this skimmer.

Setting up another 525xl and just ordered another Deltec for that tank

sorry to bring up a old thread. Do you still have this skimmer? I also have a 525xl and debating between 600i or 1000i. Which model did you end up going with?

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a tank of your volume, I’d go with the 1000i over the 600i. I owned both the prior generation of those skimmers, the 1351 and 1455. I’d say the 1455/100i(x) would handle volume of your 525xl well with the 1351/100i(x) being undersized for that tank volume.

SifuMemphis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a tank of your volume, I’d go with the 1000i over the 600i. I owned both the prior generation of those skimmers, the 1351 and 1455. I’d say the 1455/100i(x) would handle volume of your 525xl well with the 1351/100i(x) being undersized for that tank volume.

Sounds good, I will look into the 1000i. Does it matter if I have a Filter roller and also running a chaeto reactor? Should be fine to go with the oversized 1000i also right?

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good, I will look into the 1000i. Does it matter if I have a Filter roller and also running a chaeto reactor? Should be fine to go with the oversized 1000i also right?
I think you’ll ne more than fine. I actually don’t think the 1000i is oversized at all for your tank size.

Back