Low Alk in QT

SeeFu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a 20 gal QT with about 15-20 frags in it. Every night i do a 1/3 gal water change from my DT to the QT. My DT has consistently meassured around 9.5 dkh. After weeks of loosing frags I finally decided to test the QT it showed a Alk of 5.38. Is that even possible to get that low? I rechecked the Alk and i got a similiar reading. The tester I was using is the hanna checker and on my DT the Hanna and trident measure very close. My calcium and magnesium levels were fairly normal though, 450ish for calcium and 1425 for magnesium. Any idea's what's happening? On the QT I don't do anything, not even kalkwasser. I figured if my DT is reading fine and i'm doing more than a 10% water change every week i should be fine.

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a 20 gal QT with about 15-20 frags in it. Every night i do a 1/3 gal water change from my DT to the QT. My DT has consistently meassured around 9.5 dkh. After weeks of loosing frags I finally decided to test the QT it showed a Alk of 5.38. Is that even possible to get that low? I rechecked the Alk and i got a similiar reading. The tester I was using is the hanna checker and on my DT the Hanna and trident measure very close. My calcium and magnesium levels were fairly normal though, 450ish for calcium and 1425 for magnesium. Any idea's what's happening? On the QT I don't do anything, not even kalkwasser. I figured if my DT is reading fine and i'm doing more than a 10% water change every week i should be fine.

Certainly it is possible, and you are adding only a very tiny bit of alk with that water change (less than 0.1 dKH per day). Dosing is advised. :)

OP
OP
S

SeeFu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i'm hoping that explains why i was loosing corals recently in the QT.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back