Low Alkalinity HELP!

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do t understand how 5.8 is reasonable for a saltwater tank. They say it mixes between 7-8. I just tested A fresh mix at 1.026 and it’s 5.7 that can’t be normal I must have got a defected batch

I meant sounds reasonable if the salinity of new saltwater is mixed lower (some people do that) but it doesn't seem the be the case here

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep in mind 5.8 could be 6.1.

What are you using to test salinity? If it's a refractometer, did you calibrate it before reading?

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I am. Why?
Well, a couple of reasons. I've found that tester to be very accurate. I've compared it to several other test kits and they all pretty much matched up. So I'm guessing the tester is working properly.
This brings me to the second reason I asked: Are you adding the correct amount of reagent? I'm not trying to be insulting, but I've seen people not add the correct amount. Make sure you have the tip on the syringe on tight and draw the reagent all the way up until the black plunger is at the 1ml mark (last black line on the syringe). There will be a big air gap between the end of the plunger and the reagent. Just throwing this out there in case it's a user error that's causing this.

OP
OP
Polyp Punk

Polyp Punk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, a couple of reasons. I've found that tester to be very accurate. I've compared it to several other test kits and they all pretty much matched up. So I'm guessing the tester is working properly.
This brings me to the second reason I asked: Are you adding the correct amount of reagent? I'm not trying to be insulting, but I've seen people not add the correct amount. Make sure you have the tip on the syringe on tight and draw the reagent all the way up until the black plunger is at the 1ml mark (last black line on the syringe). There will be a big air gap between the end of the plunger and the reagent. Just throwing this out there in case it's a user error that's causing this.
Yes I am. I was thinking that too. The syringe itself is empty cuz I’m using that tip your supposed to put onto it. The entire tip that you put on is completely filled when I bring the syringe to the last black line. Is that how yours is too or is that too much ?

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I am. I was thinking that too. The syringe itself is empty cuz I’m using that tip your supposed to put onto it. The entire tip that you put on is completely filled when I bring the syringe to the last black line. Is that how yours is too or is that too much ?
No. I’d say more than half the syringe fills when I do my test. Maybe post a pic?

OP
OP
Polyp Punk

Polyp Punk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. I’d say more than half the syringe fills when I do my test. Maybe post a pic?
I would be very happy if that was the problem. Can you post a picture of your syringe filled? It says 1 ml. I pull the syringe to 1ml and it’s filling the entire tip extension. I hope that’s the problem. Post a pic of your syringe for me if you can.

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wrong. Fills the tip.

Attachments

• E2914986-7415-43AE-8F11-3D10B287E875.jpeg
    E2914986-7415-43AE-8F11-3D10B287E875.jpeg
    136.5 KB · Views: 42

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup. I’m telling you I got a bad batch of tropic Marin . I’m ticked right now and I have two zoa heads coming on Wednesday ***
Ok well you can raise alk pretty easily over the next two days. I agree with what someone law said, take a sample to you LFS for testing.

OP
OP
Polyp Punk

Polyp Punk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok well you can raise alk pretty easily over the next two days. I agree with what someone law said, take a sample to you LFS for testing.
I have an idea. Maybe this salt needs a colder water mix ? That’s my last thought …I’ll try it mixing in cold water tomorrow and keep you updated

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While it may be a bad batch of TMP, I find that hard to believe. My gut tells me it's one of three things:
1. Low salinity
2. Testing Error
3. Bad batch of TMP

Although, based on the thread, it looks like you are testing correctly, it could still be a problem with the Hanna reagent. So double check it with your local fish store.

I'm now leaning to low salinity. There are a ton of threads on this and the issues with different testing methods. From personal experience I have had issues with refractometers and Hanna.

If you haven't done this yet, I recommend mixing TMP at 1/2 cup per gallon as per their instructions. This should get you very close to 1.0264 SG and then take your Alk measurement and a sample to your local fish store. You can also see what salinity you get at the recommended mixing level.

If your salt is old and has been exposed to humid air, it's possible that CaCO3 has formed in the salt mix and the Alk and Ca will be low.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup. I’m telling you I got a bad batch of tropic Marin . I’m ticked right now and I have two zoa heads coming on Wednesday ***

Again yours zoas are not going to die!

Did you roll your salt around and mix it? Salt settles and if not mixed before use can mix up to the wrong parameters.

You can just go buy some 2 part and dose the parameters up.

I am not saying to not being your parameters up to a more acceptable range but just an example of a beautiful tank where the alk runs 4.8-5.6. Corals don’t just up and die from low alk. I ran mine at 5.0 for a long time and I have a mix of SPS, LPS, and softies. There is no reason to panic about the zoa.

I would check your salinity with a second source like a calibrated refractometer and if it is correct then bring your alk up slowly with 2 part. The salt is still usable but you will want to test and being the alk up In the mixing bucket before the water change to match whatever parameter you decided to dose the DT up to.

Yes, Hannah digital testers can be off so definitely check it. Low salinity would concern me more than low alk.

Last edited:

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 59 50.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 64 54.2%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 28 23.7%
  • None.

Votes: 28 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.6%
Back