Low Alkalinity New Tank Normal?

SparklesMcgraw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

I recently set up a 300 XL back in early January. Cycled with Dr.Tins and used caribsea liferock and caribsea live sand. Cycle went great and within a month all was looking well. I have had two clowns in there for the last 3 weeks and are doing well.

All testing is looking good but the one that stands out is my alkalinity. First tested at 7.1 2 weeks ago and today is 6.5. I’ve been doing 10% water changes every week although probably not necessary I’m just getting into the routine.

Parameters as follows
25-26 degc
5-10 Nitrate
0 Nitrite
0 Ammonia
0.04 phosphate (started at 0.08 so has dropped a tad for some reason)

running filter sock and carbon and a skimmer, nothing else. Lights have been on for a month and amazingly had zero algae yet. I did dose vibrant twice (biweekly) hoping to reduce the uglies and so far so good.

It’s just the alkalinity that I expected to be higher. Don’t have a calcium or mag test kit but will get this weekend. Just want to make sure all is ready as I start getting corals over the next few weeks.

forgot to add, using RO water and Red Sea Coral Pro salt

Any insight would be great!

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

SparklesMcgraw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you starting to see coralline? Doesn’t seem like an abnormal uptake if you are (.04 dKH/day)
Don’t appear too yet no. Seen no algae really form yet. Trace diatoms but vanished after the vibrant. Assumed coralline would take longer and would need to be seeded

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The process of cycling will deplete alkalinity. As the bacteria grow, they do consume some alkalinity.

Never actually tested ALK during a cycle(just remember reading that from Randy) so not sure if that consumption is abnormal.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 129 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back