Low calcium high alk

Bbutler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to admit that I do not test that often but not 5 minutes ago I did for the first time in a while because my corals aren’t growing very fast at all. I was shocked to see that my alkalinity was at 10 DKH and my calcium was at 320 ppm.

I’m almost certain this is do to me getting lazy and doing water changes with pre-packaged seawater for the past few weeks. I thought the calcium was on the lower side for a reef tank(380-420) but I didn’t know it would be that low.

The question is what should I do to raise my calcium? I have reef fusion part 1 and 2 handy.
Should I just dose part 1 only until my levels return back to normal?

My tank:

Innovative marine 40 gallon nuvo

I’m running carbon and gfo(no skimmer)

parameters:
salinity: 1.026
0 ammonia, nitrite, nitrate
Phosphate: 0.03
Have not tested for magnesium.

Don’t worry guys I have a bucket of Red Sea coral pro salt on the way.

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'd wait until the salt came and get a mag test kit as it workd with how cal and alk are consumed.

Any drastic change now will hurt the corals more.

OP
OP
B

Bbutler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd wait until the salt came and get a mag test kit as it workd with how cal and alk are consumed.

Any drastic change now will hurt the corals more.
Are you sure that’s the right move? The salt won’t arrive til feb 10 and there is no way I’m doing another water change with that pre-packaged water. I also live in a very rural town so I have to order stuff online.

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'd test the pre packaged water and see what it comes out to first.

See what it reads alk and cal at...

How old are your test kits?

OP
OP
B

Bbutler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd test the pre packaged water and see what it comes out to first.

See what it reads alk and cal at...

How old are your test kits?
Just tested it. It reads the exact same calcium of 320 ppm and a little bit high alk but still rounds to 10 dkh. My test kits are around 7-8 months old

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just increase the calcium level with whatever additives your using to around 430-450 and then test magnesium when the test kit arrives and adjust as necessary

If your going to be using coral pro, the parameters are higher in particlar alkalinity, so your encouraging growth, but have no nutrients or other building blocks like calcium to support it. If magnesium is low that would make it worse still as it’s a vital component

So basically choose your levels, adjust as necessary, and then you really need to do weekly tests to maintain stability

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this exact same problem. I know it is more common to have high calcium and low alkalinity, but through all my digging, this is the only post I have found with my exact same problem. Part of the problem may be because I switched salts from two little fishies to instant ocean (purple bucket). But before I switched, the levels were still messed up. I know dKH and Calcium are inversely proportional (as one increases another decreases)
dKH: 13
Calcium: 320

Does anyone know how to fix this problem with additives, etc?

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Randy Holmes-Farley could you put your input on this? I forgot to mention in my last reply that I don’t have corals yet and I plan to get them soon. I don’t know if the levels will be fixed once the corals start consuming these elements or worsen.

Born2beblack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was always told you need to add equal part of each. Or you will throw one off even worst.
So if you do 2ml of alk do 2ml of cal and 2ml of mag

Said from my one buddy who reefed for years.
Im not as experienced but since listening my coral have grown crazy

Also, nothing on the reef happenes fast.. and if it does its usually not good.

I would steadily try and raise it, as coral like stabilty. So to change anything drastically might affect there growth more

Ismail1978

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to admit that I do not test that often but not 5 minutes ago I did for the first time in a while because my corals aren’t growing very fast at all. I was shocked to see that my alkalinity was at 10 DKH and my calcium was at 320 ppm.

I’m almost certain this is do to me getting lazy and doing water changes with pre-packaged seawater for the past few weeks. I thought the calcium was on the lower side for a reef tank(380-420) but I didn’t know it would be that low.

The question is what should I do to raise my calcium? I have reef fusion part 1 and 2 handy.
Should I just dose part 1 only until my levels return back to normal?

My tank:

Innovative marine 40 gallon nuvo

I’m running carbon and gfo(no skimmer)

parameters:
salinity: 1.026
0 ammonia, nitrite, nitrate
Phosphate: 0.03
Have not tested for magnesium.

Don’t worry guys I have a bucket of Red Sea coral pro salt on the way.
Don’t worry control your alk calcium can drop in the 3s your fine

Born2beblack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this exact same problem. I know it is more common to have high calcium and low alkalinity, but through all my digging, this is the only post I have found with my exact same problem. Part of the problem may be because I switched salts from two little fishies to instant ocean (purple bucket). But before I switched, the levels were still messed up. I know dKH and Calcium are inversely proportional (as one increases another decreases)
dKH: 13
Calcium: 320

Does anyone know how to fix this problem with additives, etc?
I once heard tidal gardens say if your having that issue, it could be your mag.. as they all work together. I cant be certain but check salt and try and find one that mixes maybe better. I use fritz as it mixes what i need to and i dont see that point changing it as i have no issues
I also dose

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was always told you need to add equal part of each. Or you will throw one off even worst.
So if you do 2ml of alk do 2ml of cal and 2ml of mag

Said from my one buddy who reefed for years.
Im not as experienced but since listening my coral have grown crazy

Also, nothing on the reef happenes fast.. and if it does its usually not good.

I would steadily try and raise it, as coral like stabilty. So to change anything drastically might affect there growth more
Sorry for my lack of knowledge on additives but Is there a product that I can buy to add these?

Born2beblack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for my lack of knowledge on additives but Is there a product that I can buy to add these?
In your case cause you dont have corals. I would start adding corals you like and work with there consumption on those elements first
Idk if adding the 3 elements with out corals is the best ( i truly dont know it could be amazing ) as it wont get consumed by anything and just be there.
Water changes can fix the issue. Maybe the salt you use. Check what the salt mixes to first and then from there you can plan a attack.
I keep my parameters at
Cal 475
Alk 7.9
mag 1305

Now i keep these stable so i prevent them from changing much maybe 30ppm for cal and mag and nothing mote then .5 in alk maybe 1 if your lucky

To get my param i just did water changes everytime they dropped out that 30ppm range ( so if i want 450ppm i wait till about 430ppm or so to water chabge or dose )
eventually it become a more regular thing. So i started dosing about 3 to 6 months in. Now i do daily dosing. My next step i assume will be nutrients as i want them lower.

They all work together remeber that. So dont just add alk if its low you need to add all three. Now for what you can use to dose
I use red sea
Aquaforest123
Esv 2 part just buy mag on the side

all can work just gotta figure out what you like to do and works for you.

No issues we all learning still. Anyone that says that arent is a liar :p
Im still going through yos and downs but i hope this can help and if anyone else has an input on this id love to hear it to

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In your case cause you dont have corals. I would start adding corals you like and work with there consumption on those elements first
Idk if adding the 3 elements with out corals is the best ( i truly dont know it could be amazing ) as it wont get consumed by anything and just be there.
Water changes can fix the issue. Maybe the salt you use. Check what the salt mixes to first and then from there you can plan a attack.
I keep my parameters at
Cal 475
Alk 7.9
mag 1305

Now i keep these stable so i prevent them from changing much maybe 30ppm for cal and mag and nothing mote then .5 in alk maybe 1 if your lucky

To get my param i just did water changes everytime they dropped out that 30ppm range ( so if i want 450ppm i wait till about 430ppm or so to water chabge or dose )
eventually it become a more regular thing. So i started dosing about 3 to 6 months in. Now i do daily dosing. My next step i assume will be nutrients as i want them lower.

They all work together remeber that. So dont just add alk if its low you need to add all three. Now for what you can use to dose
I use red sea
Aquaforest123
Esv 2 part just buy mag on the side

all can work just gotta figure out what you like to do and works for you.

No issues we all learning still. Anyone that says that arent is a liar :p
Im still going through yos and downs but i hope this can help and if anyone else has an input on this id love to hear it to
Sounds like a plan. Worst thing that could happen is that I buy some additives to fix the problem but I assume it’s just because I don’t have corals and nothings being consumed. Thanks for this input, really helps!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you believe the kit, and salinity is appropriate, just dose calcium chloride to boost the calcium. It is not related to magnesium at any level. It cannot cause low calcium and normal alkalinity.

It might be test error, or low salinity.

When you get a new batch off salt, test the alk and calcium on it.

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you believe the kit, and salinity is appropriate, just dose calcium chloride to boost the calcium. It is not related to magnesium at any level. It cannot cause low calcium and normal alkalinity.

It might be test error, or low salinity.

When you get a new batch off salt, test the alk and calcium on it.
I’m keeping my salinity at 1.024. I’ll look into the calcium chloride stuff. It may be a faulty API test kit that I’m using (plan to upgrade most of my checkers to Hanna and Salifert). Thanks.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 30.8%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 53 81.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 16.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.8%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.6%
Back