Low magnesium

jdpeters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
trying to get my chemistry in check. Just got my 2 part and mag in. Mag was 1215 today. How king after dosing Brightwell mag liquid can I retest, and at what level of magnesium can I start to raise my alkalinity which is at 6 dkh on a good day. Thanks reefers?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
trying to get my chemistry in check. Just got my 2 part and mag in. Mag was 1215 today. How king after dosing Brightwell mag liquid can I retest, and at what level of magnesium can I start to raise my alkalinity which is at 6 dkh on a good day. Thanks reefers?

You can retest for magnesium as soon as the water has mixed up. For example, if you added food coloring, how long to look one color? That's the time needed. Only a few minutes in a sumpless tank, longer in one where it takes longer to mix through sumps, refugia, etc.

1250 ppm magnesium is OK.

OP
OP
jdpeters

jdpeters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can retest for magnesium as soon as the water has mixed up. For example, if you added food coloring, how long to look one color? That's the time needed. Only a few minutes in a sumpless tank, longer in one where it takes longer to mix through sumps, refugia, etc.

1250 ppm magnesium is OK.
Randy, thank you for all your suggestions

Saltyanimals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone noticed that it may take a days after dosing that it actually registers on the water test when making Mg adjustments? I can dump 50grams of Mg which according to my water volume will increase mag 100ppm. I'll dose the full amount....wait few hours which should be enough time for the water to mix up and zero changes in Mg. Does not however apply to dosing baking soda to raise Kh which happens almost immediately. I think I've had similar measurement time with Ca. Using Salfiet kits BTW

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 18 15.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 65 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.0%
Back