Low Mg - what does it do to coral?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Quah
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Quah

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 28, 2015
Messages
768
Reaction score
551
Location
Montana
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm curious as to what low Mg does to coral? Does it just cause issues with the carbonate cycle or are there health issues caused to coral from low Mg? I was having a discussion with a guy about his Duncans polyp bailing and he said low Mg and I suggested issues with ALK.
 
How low?

I've not seen much in the way of specific data.

Low magnesium might deter the growth of some corals and not others because the relative amount of magnesium in coral skeletons varies a lot. Coralline uses a lot of magnesium and might be harmed by low magnesium. Magnesium concentrations inside many cells is similar to the concentration in seawater, and if levels are very low and organisms are not adapted to actively taking it up, they might end up deficient inside cells too.
 
I can't say how low the Mg is. It was just a discussion we had at the LFS and I know it can impact the carbonate cycle and that can cause issues with corals but I just couldn't think of what Mg deficiency in and of itself does to corals.
 
I can't say how low the Mg is. It was just a discussion we had at the LFS and I know it can impact the carbonate cycle and that can cause issues with corals but I just couldn't think of what Mg deficiency in and of itself does to corals.

I too have not heard of a specific problem. It is also fairly unusual to actually have very low magnesium (but not to get a low and incorrect test result).
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 9 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 24 19.2%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 39 31.2%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 8.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 8.0%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 18 14.4%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 7.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new