Low nitrate

Az reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My nitrate currently sits at .02 ppm on my salifert tests. I would like to be at 5 ppm. I have seen some people have dosed nitrate to their tank and that would be last resort for me. Tank is 165 main with 39 sump. 4 med tangs, 2 banggais, 1 melanarus, 2 clowns and a dwarf angel. Can you reccomend a feeding schedule to increase nitrate? Currently feed half sheet nori every day and 1 cube each of mysis and brine every 3rd day.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Az, some would say to unplug the skimmer ,feed more slow down on water changes etc. I personally prefer to dose. it really is a lot easier to control. Good Luck !

OP
OP
Az reefer

Az reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Az, some would say to unplug the skimmer ,feed more slow down on water changes etc. I personally prefer to dose. it really is a lot easier to control. Good Luck !
Havent done a water change in 6 months, I will try the unplgging of the skimmer. Would you mind messaging me the nitrtae dosing method you use? Thanks for your input!

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My nitrate currently sits at .02 ppm on my salifert tests. I would like to be at 5 ppm. I have seen some people have dosed nitrate to their tank and that would be last resort for me. Tank is 165 main with 39 sump. 4 med tangs, 2 banggais, 1 melanarus, 2 clowns and a dwarf angel. Can you reccomend a feeding schedule to increase nitrate? Currently feed half sheet nori every day and 1 cube each of mysis and brine every 3rd day.
I dose solid sodium nitrate from amazon periodically. I mean dose loosely...I scoop 1/2 teaspoon and add it directly to my sump once per week. Very easy. Might be worth a try.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose solid sodium nitrate from amazon periodically. I mean dose loosely...I scoop 1/2 teaspoon and add it directly to my sump once per week. Very easy. Might be worth a try.
I’ve also added it to wc water and even ro topoff water. All methods work.

Ubergroover

Engineer by day, Musician/golfer/reefer by night
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you spot feed your coral? I run my tanks about the same. I spot feed twice weekly and the color is great. If you want to raise the nitrate buy some reef roids and broadcast feed twice a week.

OP
OP
Az reefer

Az reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you spot feed your coral? I run my tanks about the same. I spot feed twice weekly and the color is great. If you want to raise the nitrate buy some reef roids and broadcast feed twice a week.
I do feed reef roids, broadcast 2x a week. Along with Fuel and Acropower. I cant seem to get maroins and purples to come out kike they should. Some reds as well.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Sodium nitrate(Amazon) for N03 & SeaChem phosphorous for the Po4. How much depends. Be careful though it will want a lot at the beginning & very quickly want less don't want to overdose. Gotta watch for algae bloom. If You choose to dose, start slow & test a lot.

Last edited:

vio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How you got so low Nitrate ? Macro Algae ? If, yes remove 1/2.

MelL619

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Sodium nitrate(Amazon) for N03 & SeaChem phosphorous for the Po4. How much depends. Be careful though it will want a lot at the beginning & very quickly want less don't want to overdose. Gotta watch for algae bloom. If You choose to dose, start slow & test a lot.
Is there a link you can provide? Having the same issue, and want to make sure I’m getting the right stuff.

Skep18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
3 cubes a day... Or dose nitrate.

Dosing is cheaper, more precise and has less odorous byproducts.

DesertReefT4r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Add more fish or dose nitrate. I also have low no3, no color change with API crap kits same with po4. I have been feeding a bit more and have more fish on the stock list.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 39 43.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 22.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 32.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back